Don't use this mix to start seeds!

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I ran out of my usual seed starting mix and started some marigold seeds in some mix called "Expert Gardener - Perfect Mix" I bought during my last visit to Wal-Mart. Only one came up! This was suspicious because I had never had any trouble with marigolds before, so since luckily I had lots of seeds left, I replanted another hundred, half in the "Perfect Mix" and half in my replenished supply of peat-based sterilized mix. Sure enough, I got over 80% germination in the good mix and less than 10% in the "Perfect Mix". That product may be ok for potting up indoor plants, but I'm not going to be starting any more seeds in it.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yikes! Almost makes me wonder if they added a germination inhibitor (like Preen) to suppress weeds in container plantings... probably not, or they'd be advertising "no more weeds!!" on the bag. Thanks for the heads-up!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I think that's the first bad thing I've heard about an Expert product . . .

I usually get the Jiffy seed starting mix at Walmart. I went in the other day to get a bag, and the guy said the seed starting season is over, and they sent them all back! I said in what world does seed starting ever stop?!? So, I went to Home Depot and got the Miracle Gro seed starting mix. So far, I find it to be an excellent substitute for the Jiffy.

(Zone 7a)

I had surprisingly good germinating results with a very cheap potting mix that I got discounted because it was all busted and had weeds growing through the holes last December at Home Depot.

I think what made the difference was topping it off with a sharp, gritty sand that I passed through a sieve first. I can't imagine what else to attribute the success to, but really don't understand why it should make such a difference.

The sowing technique was winter-sowing and spring-sowing, and I plan to use it for summer-sowing, too - all of it outdoors and kept moist by watering from the bottom alternate to misting on top.

Anyhoo, thank you for the warning about Expert...I'll resist buying it next time I'm looking for something to start seeds in.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Don,

I had a rude awakening. I bought some Miracle Grow Potting mix with moisture crystals and it had the exact same texture as the Expert Gardener Perfect Mix you are talking about! This is the mix I used alllllllll winter and spring. I bought about 10 gigantic bags of it all tolled. NONE of it had this peculiar bark-like texrture.

I attribute this to the companies beig under pressure to eliminate the peat from their mixes, but maybe not.

I guess I am just trying to help sound the alarm and alert other gardeners. The times, they are a changin'.

Suzy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.