Daily Butterflies (page3)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Continued from> http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/717690/

This morning I was here at the desk about 4:30am, and I saw something out of the corner of my eye at the window. It was a HB Moth.. Not sure which one, I only got a quick glance before it left. It kinda gave me a chill at first, lol!! The antennae were probing the window... It was sorta spooky, I was barely awake, LOL! I'll go out and look for eggs later on.
This week will be interresting, we are expecting a lot more rain..Not sure what we'll get!
The high point yesterday was this Mourning Cloak. It was very attracted to the brew I have set out for fruit feasters. It stayed for several hours between chases by Red Admiral. I can see already that the transformation of the back yard is going to be a territorial adventure.

Please join me in posting your pictures, even if you've made separate thread, please do so, and reference your link so we can all follow what's happening in your neck of the woods.

:-S Deb

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

Beautiful Mourning Cloak!

They all love the Buddleias, don't they? I'm patiently waiting for cats on my Parsley....well, maybe not That patiently. I figure if there's a male, there will be a female soon.

Thumbnail by fly_girl
Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

I saw my first Funereal Duskywing on a Lantana Horrida in my backyard yesterday. Your beautiful photo helped to seal my novice ID, Deb.

I have a yellow Butterfly Bush that bloomed early and those blooms are now spent. This is my first year with BB Bushes (I have 2 Dark Knights, but they're not blooming as yet), and I'm curious to know if I should trim the spent blooms or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

There are lots of butterflies zooooooming through my yard, but only a few are stopping to nectar. I'm going to put out some "brew" and see if I can't entice a few to stick around.

Carla

I trim mine sometimes, when I think of it...but it seems to bloom regardless.

I'm starting to see more Monarchs laying eggs again.....and finding 1st instars again, I'm so happy.

Thumbnail by fly_girl
Palm Harbor, FL(Zone 9b)

Deb,
That Mourning Cloak is so pretty! Thanks for the peek.

~Adrienne

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

If you trim the spent blooms off the BB, then it will bloom again much more quickly.

Lovely photos, Deb and Rox!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks all! Great pic Roxie! Glad you are getting Monarchs.. I have seen a few sail through looking for females, but no eggs yet.
Yes Carla, snip the spent ones off and it will bloom more profussly. What are ya feeding them? Becky got me started on Osmocote, lol. I put a bit in under the mulch and scratch it is good, then let it rain and now I'm seeing buds. Guess I was right on time with it. Bet you will do good to do that too. I always snip the blooms off when they begin to look scraggly. I do that to all the flowers, except the BF Daisies, from which I want to get some seeds, so I'm letting some dry on the stems. You should see results pretty fast.

Thanks for saying something Adrienne. I know a lotta ppl peek quietly, LOL! Glad ya didn't!! This way I know who all I'm talking to, lol!

On Friday one of the last broods of Gulf Frits elcosed. There were 4 hanging, and one I couldn't hang bc it had no cremaster to tie it on... When he eclosed he wasn't able to hang so his wings were both bent. It was so so sad I couldn;t even talk about it. I still let him in the back yard and carried him around to lots of different flowers to drink from, I set him in the Passionvines and left him. The next day I found him walking out there getting caught in the Coreopsis, so I set him up in the tuteur of Sweet Peas. That night it rained, I just knew he was a gonner..:-.
Then today I was out there potting and snipping plants, and I saw several frits, 2 females ovipositing, and 2 males chasing them around. With a closer look I realized that it was 'ole Bentwing' chasing a female trying like crazy to get at her... Relentless!! What a relief!! All that carrying around to nectar gave him the strength he needed to fly and even be a part of the next generation,, WOW! What a tough little fella. I was so relieved!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Has an eclosure today, a BST!! He was so pretty. The first one to eclose in my new hanging box I made in lieu of the GFrit incident. This box is exclusivly for hanging chryslaides. Yay it worked real well!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

He was right on time for Ben to get out of school and be finished drying, ready to go!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Now there are 4 BSTs that have just made their chrysalides, 3 yesterday and the 4th is making his now. 2 of them are green.. wondering why some are green and some are brown. Interresting, anyone know?
I will show all 4 when they are ready to hang in 'the box'.
Here's a greenie>

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Then inspecting the fennel and parsley, I found some very small cats on the fennel, and some even smaller ones on the parsley. Was able to get some ok shots of the 1/3 inch ones on the fennel.

This message was edited May 7, 2007 9:04 PM

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh and this cute little Buckeye stopped by for a bit.... A pretty good day here!!

:-SSSS Deb

Wow, you did have a great day! Love all the pics!

That's a sweet story about the frit. It tugs at my heart too when their wings are bent.
I recently had a female whose wings just weren't right...they weren't bent but, weren't straight..kind of ripply and she couldn't fly for 3 days. I fed her Gatorade and sugar water on a Qtip in the Pavilion. Then, yesterday, she was flying around in the pavilion. I put her on my finger and off and up she went..not as strong as others but up. It was happy but sad....I hope she will be safe, but I think I would rather them be free even a short time than spend their days in a cage.

Deb, you get such a neat variety. Thanks for sharing!

I have raised so many different butterflies and often see one or two with defective wings. I, too, let most of them go except the Monarch Butterflies that can't fly. They do pretty good in captivity and are so friendly. I take them out of the cage for nectaring on plants when I am outside working. My dh thinks it's funny when I have a "pet" butterfly. They usually live 2-3 weeks like that. And they seem pretty happy on the flowers outside as well as the Gatorade inside, but I know they would be dead in a day if I didn't keep them in a cage otherwise. It really bothers me to let the Monarchs go when I know they can't fly. Monarchs are so different than other butterflies. I think it is the fact that they are so tame when hand raised. They seem to bond with humans more so than any other species of butterfly that I have raised. They are about the only butterflies that will come back and follow me around the yard when I raised them. I've had them land on me out in the yard. It's kind of cute. I always look for them when I am outside. One or two always show up to delight me. They are just unique in personality. Very smart creatures!

Deb - You Buckeye is beautiful! And I am happy to hear about your GF flying off. Great news when that happens! :-) Your new cage looks great!!! You've been busy, busy, busy!!!! lol

Weston, FL

Today I found this monarch cat in the J on my Chaya. I saw it crawling there yesterday and wondered if it was going to make a chrysalis. I will be sure to check on it tomorrow!

Thumbnail by snuzer29
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thx Becky and Roxie,
I hear ya Beck on the wounded wingers, they are pretty strong little creatures after all, aren't they? Surely God is taking care in spite of us most of the time.
By the by, I made a new thread about my adventure finding some more pipevine.

The brew is once again a big hit. Our Mourning Cloak went and found a friend to share it with, lol. They have been permanent fixtures around here since he found it, They fight the crowd pretty well too.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Here's the little chrysalis hanger with 4 BSTs. I still wonder why some turn green, and some turn brown. It isn't after all because of what they pupate on, you can see the one here in the pic closed in on a parsley branch and is brown. the other 4 closed on the top which was black.... still curious about that if anyone knows.

I like the all around screen box for hanging them, the elastic string can be easily thraded through the holes and tied to the top. When they eclose, they can grip easy with their new legs too, so there is no danger in bending their wings.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Munching like crazy.. never mind the frass, I suppose gregarious pillars have to out up with this all the time. I clean it out around the clock, (except at night, a gals gotta sleep). These are about ready to make chrysalides.

The thread on them is here>
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/721246/

:-S Deb

Oh my! Those are really neat looking cats! How cool to get some! Sounds like your garden is going to be all a-flutter with some new butterflies soon! :-) Though I know it is already! :-)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

:-) Becky..Yes it is, matter of fact!

What about this rain we were all praying for? We sure have it! No signs of a let up for several days to come either. When the sun does come out it is really busy out there!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

This wee flutterby passed through today. Smallest American Lady I've seen so far.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Peering at me from inside a daisy..

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Deb, is that a Huisache (sp?) Daisy? I haven't seen a Painted Lady in my yard as yet, but I'm certainly keeping an eye out.

Carla

Marlton, NJ

Deb, I love the look on Ben's face; just priceless.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you Pelle, GTSY! We opened the cage when Ben got home, and the BST needed a little help coming out of the screen box to freedom. Sometimes they linger a while, but this one was a male and he was in a hurry to find a mate and begin the cycle again, LOL.
Having a buddy like Ben to share all of this is definatly priceless!

Yes it is Carla, One of the best bedding flowers I have ever seen for butterflies. Some might look similar, but they don't attract near as many species as I have seen on this for an early spring nectaring trough. When Buddleias and Vitex take a little longer, this one was a godsend. Do you have this plant Carla? Someone gave them to me at the last swap where we met. What a wonderful surprise it has been. If you don't have it, I will try to save some seeds for you.

:-D

Deb, if you have any extra seeds, could I please have a couple? That flowerlooks like a bf magnet!

Here's the Poydamus cat....getting big and scary lol

Thumbnail by fly_girl
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow Roxie!! Thanks for sharing that great pic. That is one cool cat!

Rox - Your cat is really dressed in armor! Not a cat you'd want to tangle with in a dark alley! LOL!

Deb - I find your pictures so much fun! Tell me .... what pipe vine cultivar are your cats hosting on?

Edinburg, TX

Great photos as usual ya'll!!!

Gotta love that Mourning Cloak!!! Wish they'd venture down to the south tip of Texas!!! And that Polydamas cat...am hoping to attact females to my yard with the huge aristolochia elegans vine I have. Only saw one lone Poly last year...but didn't have then vine then. Hope to add those to my list of cats to raise.

Had an Ornythion Swallowtail emerge on May 8th. This was from eggs I found on my rue in March. Once the cats hatched...I thought they were GSTs - they look so similar.

I've only had males emerge but I guess a female was around and one found her...and she made her way to my yard to lay eggs back in March :o)

WOOHOO!!!

~ Cat

Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint

Cat - What a beaut!!!! Nice photo, too!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Right Becky, those Ornythions are really beautiful! Sparce up here according to the map....

Easy to think OST a GST too Cat, specially if they just do a fly through. What a pic that is! If they're gonna fly by here we are prepared with what they like. Planted, (yada yada yada), will they come? I'm an optomist to the inth in that regard, LOL! (Or take after Beck, just plain nuts, lol. I can take it.) Thanks for the load of seed Cat, very generous!. Planted some today out there around the small but old vine I have. Rest in fridge for now to plant or share later on. TY!!

Who would want to take a bite out of that one Roxanne has? My birds will stand back pretty soon enough. Yet they are always welcome. the new varieties coming through will show them some respect for what to eat, and what not to.

thx for sharing pics and all!

:-S
;-)

Edinburg, TX

I am the ultimate optomist. I've got zamia/coontie planted just in case some Florida Atala Hairstreaks want to vacation in south Texas!!! Not to mention cestrum parquii for the rare clearwing butterflies from Mexico (Greta Oto and friends). Green Shrimp plant for Malachites...still waiting for those to come out of the woods and into the city! False Nettle for Question Marks, Tragia for Common Mestras or Crackers or Red Rims, aristolochia elegans just waiting for uncommon Polydamas, Paw Paws in case Zebra Swallowtails also want to vacation in the south along with Spice Bush for the Spicebush Swallowtail. Hey, if I'm going to dream...I will dream big!!!

I still have other yard goodies for the common butterflies to keep me busy while I'm waiting for those rare and occasional ones to show up. :o)

~ Cat

This message was edited May 11, 2007 12:09 PM

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

What is this? Can you find it in Plant Files and post a link, please? I have never heard of it, especially as a bedding plant.

-----> Deb, is that a Huisache (sp?) Daisy?

Thanks,
Suzy

Edinburg, TX

Huisache Daisy link
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/64298/index.html

Deb or Cat - If either of you get seeds for this daisy, please share with me, too! I don't have that in my garden yet and it looks like a good one to have from Deb's photos!!! (Pretty please!)

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

OIC...I thought it was a bedding plant, like a marigold and wondered why I never heard of it before, if only from the seed catalogs. It looks to be a native of Texas. Interesting that the height on the PF is 6"-30" -- quite a spread! I assume the clone you are growing is short like a bedding plant.

Suzy

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Actually it is at least 30" tall and there are 4 plants in full sun. I planted them in Oct at about 3" each. When it got cold I covered them with leaves. Now they spread about 5' x 3' x 30". Thx for posting the link Cat. ;-) Becky, I heard ya.
Maybe a background bedding plant, lol.

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi everyone : )

I enjoy reading about your butterfly adventures, and looking at the pictures. I have been buying different plants and herbs this year to attract more butterflies. I had quite a few butterflies last year, but like you, I want more. : )

Mind if I ask some questions?

How do you tell a male from a female?
What is this butterfly brew?
When you feed them gatorade, what flavor do you use. I probably won't be raising my own, but you never know. : )

Happy fluttering
~Lucy

Thumbnail by BlueGlancer
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Welcome in Lucy!
Lantana is a good choice for a nectar plant, and rotting fruit feasters love the brew, (or bait). I put the recipe here:
http://www.theletteroflove.com/wallpaper/index.php?paged=3
Can't thank TPP (Cat) for sharing that with us here. Some really gorgeous butterflies that aren't looking for flowers find this stuff irresistable. They get really friendly with it too. Yesterday I was reapplying some to the log, and some of them just scooted over as I painted it on..they didn't fly away. KInda like feeding ducks..LOL! There were 3 species at once, and sometimes more.
Telling male from female is not so easy, and some are more obvious. On many the markings are so similar or exactly alike. Others you can tell by the antennae, where the m's will have more fluffy sensors on thiers than the fm's. You get the hang of it by observation. If you have larval host plants, of course the fm will be the one ovipositing, (laying eggs). The m's are the ones chasing them around the yard. lol.
Becky can tell you more about the gatorade and bf's in your area..

Here are the butterflies documented in Hardee Co. Florida where you live. http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/map?dc=1881&_dcc=1&si=10
Several here at DG get the same ones as you, and might have a better line on native plants and things that have been successful there. We always suggest beginning with the area's most common, and then working out from there later.

Pay particular attention to the line "Caterpillar hosts" on the pages for each species. Having their host will bring thier families to your yard, instead of just fly-bys. There is where you really get to know a certain species first hand.

:-D

Edinburg, TX

I keep thinking the Guiness beer company should start donating to the butterfly parks or are they contributing the delinquency of butterflies? Hmmm...let's see...that's one bottle for me...one for the butterflies...one bottle for me... heh heh :o)

Bought some nanas a couple of days ago...must make a new batch to take to the ranch this weekend.

Yep, many websites provide excellent resources with regards to nectar and larval hosts. If you haven't purchased any butterfly books I highly recommend the Kaufman Focus Guide - Butterflies of North America. You can find an old version quite easily for a couple of dollars on abebooks or amazon etc. The newest version is out as well...will probably cost you a bit more...not much difference except they included more butterflies from south Texas. Am sure there are some books for butterflies of Florida - I think Minio (sp?) has several out...I know I have a couple of them...quite good...love the caterpillar one too. As for caterpillars...you can't go wrong with Brock, Glassberg and Allen's book - Field Guide to Caterpillars.

Lucy said she won't be raising her own...ya'll wanna take bets on how quickly she'll convert? Heh heh...I'm hooked on raising caterpillars!!! :o)

Just keep in mind only about 2% of all the eggs a butterfly lays will make it to adulthood...so every egg or caterpillar you raise into a butterfly and release back into your yard ups the odds :o)

~ Cat

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.