My greenhouse...er...grow room :)

Kansas City, MO

I have started a grow room in part of my basement. It's made of dirt floor covered with fine rocks and cement block walls. So it's pretty much the same temp as the outside. I'm planning on heating and cooling it. The windows are on the wrong side of the house so I have to use grow lights.

Does anyone here have a grow room? I have never had a greenhouse either. So I'm not sure how different it is. We have installed ventilation. I've also put in a fan and a room air purifier for the extra air movement. We are having days and days of rain here right now and the floor is very wet from the outdoor moisture that collects under that room.

Anyway, I just found this site and I'm looking forward to seeing what I can learn :) There are pictures of my set up at my blog. www.suzisgardenhaven.blogspot.com

Thumbnail by suzimcmullen
Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

We moved out to the heartland many years ago but back in the NY City area, with space at a premium, under-lights growers abound. I think the basement is a good choice with lots of humidity (usually) and you have already addressed air movement. I can't say I know of any particular sites to visit but I'm sure if you let your keyboard fingers do the walking you'll find some.

With lots of fluourescent bulbs (and the right type) you can grow anything. I've seem really great color on under-lights grown Bromeliads (even Neoregelias) that is hard to believe.

Kansas City, MO

I hope so. So far I have 2 high pressure sodium lights that are 400 watts. I have 3 large flourescent tube type bulbs in light weight reflectors..well 2 are on the way. I have 1 of the 4 bulb light fixtures that's 4 feet, several regular flourescent just for a little extra in spots that get shaded too much from equipment or other plants. I have some under the cabinet type flourescents that are placed 2 each on carts for seed starting. I have just one metal halide fixture but it's only 175 watts. Oh and I have 3 shop lights with cheap plant/aquarium bulbs in them. I also have 2 of the Aero grow systems on the wall and those babies put out a lot of residual light too. My room really glows :)

Suzi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.