Fuchsia

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

Can you propagate a fuchsia cutting? I have one in a hanging basket and would like to take a cutting and try since everyone thinks it is a temperamental plant. Wouldn't want to do it if its not possible. Has anyone ever tried?

Thumbnail by shortstuff430
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Fuchsia are relatively easy. Keep the cuttings moist, remove lower leaves, not hot or dry. They are susceptible to boytritis so fill a spraycan with a teaspoon of baking soda and water to lightly spray them. Ensure there is enough air circulation between the cuttings and don't put them in full sun. I found the gell rooting hormone with fungicide worked best. You should have good success with the above info.

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, growin! I will try it!

Eagle, ID

Thanks also. I cut some off a plant that I liked and am rooting in water. I wasn't sure how well it would take though. So thanks again for the info

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I forgot to mention - you should only have to use the baking soda spray once. The key really is high humidity so if you can find a cover for your flat of cuttings or make a tent to keep in humidity, it helps. Removing the lower leaves on the cuttings improves circulation, reduces leaves on the soil that get boytritis and the soilmix should be a mix of standard peat-perlite mixed with some black organic fine soil.

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

Rusty, let me know if that cutting takes in just water. That would be awesome if it did. I am try some wave blue petunias in water right now and seeing if that will take.

Growin, should the fuchsia cutting be in a dark place?

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

No, Fuchsia cuttings should be in indirect light away from full sun. Strong light without the sun. You could probably take an Azalea pot, 3 chopsticks and a bag and put it in a spot that is bright without sun and they'll do well.

Eagle, ID

Will do

Eagle, ID

shortstuff430,

The 3 of the 4 cutting already have small roots. They are ready for planting!

Eagle, ID

I don't know about anyone else, but almost everything I try to root in water works. Then I dip in rooting hormone and plant. Sometimes I cover the plant lightly with a clear plastic bag. The thin storage ones usually do fine.
I think I just enjoy seeing the little roots grow in the water. When I just plant in soil I always wonder.

Even my AV's root in water. Good luck.

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

That is awesome! My fuchsia is not doing so well right now. A few people from texas warned me they don't like our climate. lol So I guess now would be a good time to try to root a few cutting huh? Where did you have the cutting to root in the water? I usually keep mine in my kitchen window. they get a little sun there but its not beating down. I was noticing today the wave blue petunia cuttings I put in the water are starting to grow roots and they are blooming at the same time! Once they have a few more little roots I will try your method of dipping in rooting hormone and planting with the ziplock covering it. Thanks for sharing your experiment with us!

Eagle, ID

Hi shortstuff,

I also have mine in the east facing window (kitchen) I used a clear glass, rubberbanded a sandwich baggie on the top, poked 4 holes and popped in the cuttings.
I used room temp water that is purified ( the bottled stuff from our office) It only took about 8-9 days to see the roots.
I read that they make good houseplants, so I am going to baby them and when they grow up I am going to take cuttings from them for next year and have lots and lots!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.