My Reed Fence Frame Design Works!!!!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I was delighted to find that my design of the frame for the reed fence worked beautifully. Not only was it low cost, but very easy to construct and attach to the chain link fence. Keeping in mind hurricanes, I decided to make separate panels instead of a continuous frame. Each panel is as long as the distance between the posts on the fence and 6’ 3” high. The panels are secured with wire.

For this panel I bought 3, 12’ x 4” x 1” pieces of board, 2 corner braces and 4 L-brackets. I ripped each panel into thirds, width wise then cut the lengths I needed and made miter cuts on the top and two sides for 2 frames. The back frame was constructed completely making sure to get the center piece level with the top of the chain link fence and got the corner braces and L-brackets. The reed fencing was rolled out and cut to size on the frame, then stapled down about every 6 inches on the top and two sides. The front frame was screwed on in sections, sandwiching the reed. Once done it was lifted (it’s surprisingly light!) and put up against the fence and secured with bailing type wire using the chain link posts and top rail as the anchors.

The neat thing about them is that when a hurricane comes, all I have to do is cut the wire, lay them flat and secure them!

The cost per panel came to about 35 dollars, for wood, hardware and reed and took about 2 hours to cut, construct and tie up with a friend. I was amazed at how easy it was.

X

This message was edited May 4, 2007 5:02 PM

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
This thread has 20 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!