Container Soils: Water Movement and Retention II

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

BUMP

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Hey, Linda!! Hows stuff?

Al

This message was edited Sep 2, 2015 9:17 PM

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

got a name for " micro-nutrient powder " Other than web , I am stuck with OSH , home depot and lowes [ there are a few Ace hardware - even poorer plant stuff ..
Right now I use costco multi vit and multi minerals one of each pill per pot and shulz liquid .

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Not sure what you're asking, but I use a soluble powder (STEM) and an insoluble powder (Micromax). The STEM is about the consistency of other granular soluble fertilizers like Miracle-Grow and the Micromax is a little more granular - about like fine pepper. You can eliminate the need for micronutrient supplements by using a quality fertilizer that contains all the nutrients essential to normal growth in the ratio at which plants actually USE the nutrients, like Foliage-Pro 9-3-6. It's a great 'go to' fertilizer for almost all the plants we might be growing.

Al

Al

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Hey, Al!

"Stuff" is going well! Gearing up for the fall/winter veggie garden. Just completed raised bed #5, although, I think I put it in the wrong spot...it's under the eave on the east wall of my house...Not sure what will grow in the bright shade there this winter, but, it will get lots of sun in the spring and summertime, LOL! May use it as a seed starting bed for now, or try to grow some leafy-ness there.

Still promoting your 5-1-1 container mix to all my veggie gardening friends, too! Al, for the price, you can't beat filling large numbers of containers or eBuckets. I know I won't ever buy volumes of MG potting mix again! You saved me TONS of $$$!

Was thinking about you, too, just last week! We relocated buildings, and, I've been considering some office plants. Don't have a window, but in researching some bright light office flora, I couldn't help but smile when I read, "well-draining, aerated soil that holds moisture well."

Why, that would be "AL'S CONTAINER MIX," LOL!

Hugs!

Raised Bed #5

Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

There were 2 places that sold what I considered good stuff . They were also growing illegal stuff and were raided .
Food wise , I have been getting what ever is on sale / close out 12-12-12 to 16-16-16 . [ 15 or 20 lb bags- 2 - 15 lbs is good for one feeding ] After buying MG potting soil once [ they were out of supersoil ] and dumping in garbage can [ has a lid . When I went to use , it had lots of white grubs , went right into recycle bin .
Now I get Kellogs potting and their soil amendments . Ahard rain will flush out my soil - which is good - hard water , but good stuff goes to . I would like to compost , but something has to die or given away to make room for a new plant .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.