Planting annuals

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Has anyone begun planting their annuals yet? I am thinking about beginning this weekend.

I was at the nursery and home depot yesterday, and I was amazed at how many people were there in the middle of the day. They've had geraniums, and some other annuals for sales since before the last cold wave in April. I thought that people were foolish then to purchase them, but now I'm thinking that I need to start.

Part of the reason is that I have started alot of annuals from seeds as well, and I have to start moving some of the out. They are getting too large for the space! Right now, I only have a few of them blooming, but I am trusting that they will look great this summer!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I bought a bunch of seeds this year and the ones I purchased are recommended to start right in soil and our frost date is May 15 so I'll be doing some planting that week. I also bought some petunias which I thought could be sown right into the soil but I was wrong so I started those inside( a little late) On our local garden report they said you can plant the pansies now. I see a ton at every garden center and store.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi pen, I'm in a cooler zone then you, I have not planted any yet, but I'm thinking I should start hardening off some of my little ones in the basement, maybe this weekend.

I sure hope this cold spell breaks soon. I want to be outside and be comfortable playing in the dirt.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I got really cocky last year and planted annuals in mid May. Then we got three more really bad frosts. They managed to survive the first two with cover but not the third. But Pennefeather you're probably a bit warmer than we are here in the mountains.

We've had really warm days and night temps in the 50s but it's supposed to go down to 40 tomorrow night. After that, the 15 day forecast calls for more warm weather.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I'm a wuss with annuals: we've only planted the reseeders like sunflower, cosmos. Oh, and marigolds & nasties with the vegetables. :)

BUT I did order glads and dahlias from Old House Gardens, so I'm in trouble now.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

only planted out two things I started indoors that I had hardened and are getting waaay too big for their little pots-Nicotiana, Tithonia

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I've never had marigolds reseed. When I lived in Ct on the coast, I used to plant them every year. I had some in Georgia as well, but they also didn't reseed.

I did go ahead and plant just two pots of vinca yesterday. I had just picked them up at HD, and I had to do it! These are the pretty white flowers with the pink eyes. I have them right in front of the euyonomous (green with white edging), and next to the coneflowers- magnus (pink), and swan (white). This is a bed that I tripled in size over the weekend. Hopefully, when things begin to bloom, it will look totally cool.

I had to throw in some dusty miller too, but I'm not worrying about frost damage with that. Last year my dusty miller kept growing until about Thanksgiving. Plus it was $1 at HD. I tried to grow some from seed this spring, but I didn't have any luck.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I just meant that the sunflowers and cosmos re-seed. Not them marigolds!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.