Hardening off on weekends?

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I've read about hardening off on this forum and realize I have far from the ideal situation to follow instructions properly. I essentially only have weekends to begin hardening my plants off (tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, annuals, and perennials), and they are on their own during the week. They are currently under lights where they have been growing for at least 6-8 weeks, so most of them are a good size. Only some of the perennials are still small.

Would it make sense to put them in the ground - still in their pots - in a protected, shady location for a work week before exposing them to full sun the following weekend?

Naperville, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm no expert, but I think you can start them off for a week in a protected location as long as your temperature at night isn't too cold. The next week, set them out in more sun or in their planting spot and go from there. Just make sure you keep them watered. I started hardening off a couple potted clematis vines I purchased a couple weeks ago and have had inside under lights since. I only had to water them once every several days inside but after only one full day outside I had to water them again. Big difference.

I've also seen Paul James on Gardening by the Yard, set plants in "nursery beds" to acclimate them outside. He sunk them in raised beds in a protected spot in the yard, pot and all, and covered with mulch. That kept the soil a consistent temperature and helped retain moisture.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Here's how I do it Peckhaus. Right now most of my seedlings live right inside the garage with the doors up. That way they are getting natural sunlight without being exposed to it directly. For a few minutes each day I scoot them into the sunlight (in the morning if possible or late afternoon when the sun's rays aren't as intense) and gradually increase those times until I'm comfortable they can tolerate full sun.

If you have anyplace like that which is protected I would think you could put them out and just leave them as long as your temps don't get too cold at night. Then on the weekends expose them to a LITTLE direct morning light increasing the time as you go. Just be careful. I almost lost an entire flat of balsam and peppers last weekend when I wasn't paying attention and they got 20 minutes of direct afternoon sun.

La

This message was edited May 2, 2007 10:17 AM

Thumbnail by Lala_Jane
Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Those are great ideas, thanks! I don't have a garage, but I do have a lot of protected, shady areas under trees. When it gets a little warmer at night, it sounds like I can begin hardening the plants off by avoiding direct sunlight M-F and exposing them a little on weekends.

Are small perennials and annuals more tolerant of cool nights than peppers and tomatoes? Can I begin leaving them out earlier than the vegetables? (Balsam, ageratum, zinnias, cosmos, coreopsis, gaillardia, rudbeckia, marigolds...)

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I was told that as long as the night temps didn't dip below 50° and I wasn't contending with a lot of wind that I shouldn't have any problems and so far that has worked well for me. I think it's more the sun you need to be mindful of unless the nights get REALLY chilly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.