deformed seedlings

Vancouver, BC

I'd like to know what most folks do when a seedlings first set of true leaves are mangled and irregular-looking: do you automatically pitch the seedling into Chlorophyll Heaven, so to speak? or, do you wait to see if the 2nd set of true leaves are also mangled--or not--and decide--on behalf of the seedling in question: "to be or not to be" (allowed to continue to grow?) ?!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've never had seedlings do that, but if I did I know I would wait and see what the first set of true leaves looked like.

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

BC,

I've seen problems with the cotyledons but not so much with true leaves. Like Ecrane, I usually wait to see what develops. Problems with pole bean seedling cotyledons are usually fatal. I have several zinnia seedlings that appear to be recovering from bad cotyledon emergence, and I will grow them. But they may have some genetic defect. They are "on probation", since I am an amateur zinnia breeder.

MM

Vancouver, BC

I too, will keep the seedlings 'on probation'. The plantlets in question are Corkscrew Vines. Out of 5 seeds, 1 came up 'perfect', the 2 on probation have mangled cotyledons, so time will tell; I've planted the 2 sleeper seeds in one of my 'melting pot' seed experiment containers. In these containers I'll sometimes literally just 'throw' some seeds on the surface--others I'll cover with soil. These are mainly seeds culled from various fruits, such as: several citrus species--apples--and recently, the innards of an organic pepper. Most have been somewhat raging successes. The melting pots are '2nd chance' sites for many 'sleeper' seeds---plus, the process contributes to my Plant Rearing learning curve!

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

BC,

Your 'melting pot' second-chance concept for 'sleeper seeds' sounds like a good idea. I may try that myself. Thanks for sharing.

MM

Perth,, ON(Zone 5a)

lol, my melting pot second-chance is my compost pile. Last fall I buried a cupfull of plum pits and this spring there's 3 pits sprouted and are potted up to add to the 'plum orchard'

I also have 2 seedling bartlett pears from a grocery store pear.......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.