How many electrical outlets needed in a greenhouse.

West Bridgewater, MA

Hello,

I need advice again from your gardening and greenhouse experience
and wisdom.

My 8 x 14' greenhouse is at that point where I will be installing electricity.
So far I only have the conduit inside the greeenhouse.
I have been thinking of 2 outlets on each of the long walls and wiring to an
exhaust fan and intakes @ some time but what else should I allow for.

I am new to this and don't know about all the things I could possibly need, can you help me out??

Thanks,
keywest

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

It's easy to do it now and very difficult to add on later.
Things you may need electricity for...
Furnace and backup heaters
Air movement fan (always on)
Heating cable for propagation/seed starting
Lighting
Entertainment (radio, cd player, ...)

If you have a seperate circuit for the greenhouse (a good idea) use a gcfi (ground fault interruptor) circuit breaker. The only down side to this would be if you plan to use a backup generator wired into the circuit breaker panel (it generally won't work that way but you can still use gcfi outlets).
Dave.

Fulton, MO

Dave, don't forget the beer fridge.

I think you will want a few more outlets, Keywest.

I can tell you what I did, and I'm happy with it. 20' end walls each have 3 outlets, but one of those is for the exhaust fan. 23' side walls have 5 each, three low (2') and two high (shoulder level). Plus one on the ceiling. At one point or another I've used every one of these outlets.

West Bridgewater, MA

Thanks guys.

You've given me food for thought.
I know at some point I will wish I had the foresight to have
added an outlet here or there.

Keywest

Conway, AR(Zone 7b)

I have a 12x14 GH. I have a total of 9, 3 down each long wall, 2 on back wall and 1 just under service panel. The fan and shutters are hard wired to the panel on their own breaker. I have not used them all yet, but am just getting started. :) I wish I had thought to put some up higher as SB suggested. It will be much easier to add them now.

Nautical99

Beaumont, TX

I have 8 ( a couple are doubles) and one in the ceiling (knowing I already had a fluorescent fixture that plugged in and would need it). Originally I'd put them on the back wall of my benches thinking that would be where I needed them... but when I decided to add another outlet on the opposite side a couple weeks later, I 'd already discovered they needed to be more accessible. So I swung those forward so they'd be just under the front of the benches. Not so far for me to have to reach to plug something in over top of my plants.

West Bridgewater, MA

I am taking it all in ....thanks

keywest

Kansas City, MO

In my grow room I have 3 dedicated lines and one shared line with a total of 28 or 30 outlets.

Suzi

West Bridgewater, MA

I ended up with three circuts brought in.

One 20 amp for the Left side and One 20 amp for the Right side.

There is a 220 amp circut for the heater, someday and the exhaust fan will go on one of the 20 amp circuts, someday.

Total (9) 110v wall outlets two on each side two on each end and one on the ceiling.

Thanks for all the advice,
Keywest

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.