Cypress Vine

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

Ho-I'm trying to start some Cypress Vine seeds. They supposedly reseed themselves to the point of being pests in warmer places, but I can't get one seed to start! I just want a few plants, so I started them in some little peat pellet things-I never usually use those, so I'm not sure if it's them or something else I'm not doing. I bought some fresh seeds on ebay ( from a reliable source) so it shouldn't be the seeds. Should I just try again in and APS tray? Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me?
Thanks,
Deb

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Anytime there are seeds of plants that reseed freely in nature but are being troublesome when you try to start them, I try to think about what are the conditions in nature that need to be replicated. For some seeds, it's cold stratification simulating winter chill, for these since they reseed freely in warmer climates, it could be higher soil temperature is helpful, you might try bottom heat to help them out. Also, I would make sure you don't have the seeds buried too deeply, in nature they probably are just sitting on top of the ground with not much covering them. It's also possible they may need light to germinate--do you have them under lights or in a bright window? I don't have any personal experience with this plant so if someone who's grown it comes along and tells you something different then go with that, but otherwise I would try to replicate the conditions it would see in nature as much as you can.

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

You have some good points. I do have them under fluorescent lights, but they have been covered with about 1/4 mix. I just read somewhere that the seeds may benefit from being nicked much like a morning glory (they are the same genus). I think the bottom heat is a good idea, too.
Thanks for the suggestions-
Deb

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Soak 'em overnight - 50% water/50% hydrogen peroxide (or 75% water/25% hydrogen peroxide). Works like a charm for me - have started lots of morning glories this year like that. (But not Cypress Vine...yet. Have seeds, but no room!).

Joanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.