Any one grow Paw-Paws in CT?

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I just ordered two Paw-Paws from Raintree for my yard in zone 6b. Anyone in CT or in the same zone grow them sucessfully and have hints for me? (I need help, I ordered a whole LOT of plants and only have a small yard. Is there a plants anonymous?)

Henderson, KY(Zone 6a)

I don't know about in CT, but they grow wild here in KY. I'm in about the same zone, so it should be possible. I planted a couple of them that I bought about 4-5 years ago. They are miserably slow growing. After I bought them and got them in the orchard I found a small "grove" of them in my woods. One of lmy neighbors was giving me a hard time about growing a weed tree like that. I just hadn't found them in the woods yet at the time. No fruit yet from the orchard, have to fight the wildlife for the ones in the woods.

What do they taste like?

Henderson, KY(Zone 6a)

Haven't had one yet. The one that I picked in the "grove" wasn't ripe yet. Like I said the wildlife gets to those first. The two in my orchard haven't had any yet, their only about 4 feet tall.

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Miller's Nursery in upstate New York sells them, so I would guess they'd be okay for CT. I stumbled upon them while looking at cherry trees on their site. The description says they taste like sweet banana custard. Sounds pretty good to me. Wish I had room for planting one. We are surrounded by trees as it is, so not much sun to work with. Anyway, here is the link if you want to read the description or anything.

http://www.millernurseries.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=46

jenhillphoto - paw-paws are understory trees so they can be planted where there are a lot of other, taller trees. The information I found says that they will stay small and shrubby when they don't get much sun.

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

We have pawpaws wild here in Ohio too.

They are very sweet, have a texture like custard, and have six or eight large, black beanlike seeds in them. I have only ever tasted wild pawpaws, not any of the cultivars, but to me a fresh pawpaw tastes like a musky, over-ripe banana.

First you peel them, then you either remove the seeds from the pulp or you suck the pulp off of the seeds and spit them out. For me the first pawpaw of the season is delicious, the second one is ok, and the third one is overkill. I don't eat many pawpaws, but I love their large shiny green oval leaves. :)

I hear pawpaws are great substituted in your favorite banana bread recipe. I've never tried it. http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/pawpaw/recipes.htm

Oh, and in semi-shade pawpaws don't get shrubby, they get leggy. They send slender trunks up towards the canopy to get more light. They might get shrubby in full sun, but I have never seen them growing anywhere other than a dense wood.

-Joe

This message was edited May 11, 2007 3:52 PM

How tall are the "legs"?

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

I have seen them 12 to 15 feet high.

-Joe

Opps. That is a little taller than I had hoped for. Oh well - welcome to my jungle.

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

Most of the trees stay between 6 and 8 feet, but 12 - 15 feet does happen on occasion, when the lighting is poor and the soil is fertile enough. :)

Oh. 6 to 8 feet is perfect! I feel better now.

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

They are actually one of my favorite trees, I have never had room to dedicate to them the way I like to see them growing, in really large clumps. One or two will look quite pretty though, like exotic ornamentals, and they'll provide shade for something nice underneath them, maybe some ferns and a few nice bletillas or cypripediums (hardy orchids). :)

-Joe

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.