Winter sowing now?

U.P., MI(Zone 5a)

Hi Everyone,
I started a lot plants in December only a few are up so far. It is still pretty cold here in Northern Michigan, Now I still have a lot of seeds to plant and no room to start them inside. Can I just put them outside and winter sow them?
Also the others I planted I put in little solo cups and than in clear plastic deli contanors. Can I just put soil in the deli containers and plant without the cups. It would be so much easier.

Thanks for any advice.

Sue

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

If you are starting seeds which require cold stratification, then it may or may not still be cold enough to start them outside in your zone -- I'm not sure. But for most seeds, it'll still work just fine. Some things like an indoor start just to get a jump on the growing season, but if your packet says "direct sow in early spring" or even "direct sow after last frost" (the container provides protection like a cold frame), you should be fine.

I like deli containers for planting -- just be sure you put drainage holes in the bottom as well as vent. holes in the top. If your containers don't hold at least 3-4 inches of potting mix, it might be helpful to include some polymer moisture crystals so the seedligns don't dry out so fast, and even then you'll have to keep an eye on them and water regularly (perhaps daily once they really get growing) if you don't get rain.

U.P., MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks you very much. So seeds that say "start indoors in winter before the first frost" might not be good for ws right?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That depends on the type of plant... you can sow a lot of "tender" things in WS type containers in early spring (after the really cold temps are over)... but some things like impatiens, torenia, maybe petunias, anything that can take a while to start blooming from seed might be better to start inside so you don't have to wait until August for blooms. If I didn't start peppers indoors, for example, I probably wouldn't get ripe fruits on many varieties before frost.

So, if the directions say "start indoors 8 to 10 weeks before first frost," the plant might be a little slow for successful sowing now... but if the packet says "4 to 6 weeks" I'd go for it. You've got little to lose by trying.... some plants might come along faster than you'd expect, or you might not mind waiting a bit longer for blooms if the alternative is buying flats of plants at your local nursery.

U.P., MI(Zone 5a)

Very good point! What do I have to lose I only spent a dollar or less for the seeds, some I even got free in trades. So if it doesn't work out I can just get more seeds and start another batch when it gets warmer or just buy them at the nursery if I need to.
You have been sooo helpful. Thanks a bunch :)

Sue

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Good luck!

Also wanted to note that anything you've noticed self sowing or "volunteering" in your garden from previous years' plants are good candidates... if they can grow and bloom for you when they reseed themselves, they'll do even better with that boost of protection from the WSing containers.

U.P., MI(Zone 5a)

O.k., thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.