where is the asparagus?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I had one nice clump of asparagus last fall, and two little ones. AllI see yet is one teeny tiny sprout just came up from this big plant. Is it running late around here? or am I being impatient? I forget when I picked it before.
My ostrich ferns just shot up this week.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Hmmm. They should be up. I planted last year (30 crowns) and they're between 6 inches and 2 feet high now, some 3/4 inch thick. They took their time this year, though. Now I just need to get that wire grass out that's creeping into their bed, grrr.

Well. today I spotted one nice fat sprout about an inch tall. I guess they're just late. Some hostas that I couldn't find at all last week, suddenly got 6 inches tall.

Good news!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

My asparagus bed has been ignored and let go to weeds for years. Just not enough time for everything and the vegetables were the first thing to fall by the side. Ric did the veggies and I did the flowers. Now that I have more time I'm starting to get interested in the veggies. We love asparagus and it's expensive, so it was one of the first things I started on. Last year I started to get it cleaned up and I have a few coming up but may need to replant if it doesn't produce better. I could use some Asparagus growing tips. Mostly on how to give new life to an old bed. Holly

H- Hope you get some specific advice for rejuvenating the old bed. You'll probably be starting with a good dose of fertilizer, compost or both.

I wish I knew more about that too. I'll see what I can find.

Went out to look at mine and what do you know... the rotten asparagus beetles are already at work! Argh.

Those spotted beetles are horrendous here. Really do a number on the plants, although they finally did attract wasps and ladybugs to prey on them. I take a cup of soapy water and knock them (beetles) in. they are really sneaky about droppng away as you try to catch them.
I haveto go look see how tall the spear got today!

I can't even believe how many I knocked off just now. Thirty at least, and the stalks are covered with eggs. I used a surgeon's brush on the stalks, but I know I didn't get all the eggs. Anyone have any ideas about them eggs?

Oooh, first spear is fatter tahn my thumb, and two more starting now!
Have no idea how to get those eggs off easily.

Love seeing that asparagus come up!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.