I'm hooked......

Menahga, MN(Zone 3b)

First year of winter sowing, and very skeptical, living in the tundra as I do. Well, I started a few things in February, and then the cold and snow really whammed us. Planted a few more things in March, but by then had set up the lights in the back bedroom. I've been checking the WS containers and getting ga-ga over new sprouts. But today I had to take a pic of a maroon hollyhock that I had tried to start for about five years, with no luck. I sowed the same seeds in a bottle, and look what I have!

Thumbnail by Ollie
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

nice lookin' Holly Hocks. Mine are doing well too.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Congratulations, both of you.

Karen

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

mine don't look that good, but I do have a few tiny ones going

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

No hollyhocks yet for me. Congrats on yours! Hopefully mine will follow suit. :-) Tamara

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hmm - I did sow hollyhocks, and I do have seedlings that look kind of like that...

x,C

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I just found a hollyhock volunteer in my garden, so hopefully the WS ones won't be far behind! Tamara

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

I planted very late in early April. I have about four kinds of hollyhocks that have sprouted. Just today, I planted a huge pot full of Charters Doubles mix, Summer Carnival needs to come along now, and Appleblossom. I am still going to add an old fashioned single mix, and maybe a Charters Salmon, Rose, and Pink mix from trade.

I am so glad you are meeting with success! Last year was my first year and I had many failures. But the successes were many too. This year they are all mature plants. How cheap! What fun! I will always do that from now on. Right now primula japonica is germinating for me. That is exciting! I feel like a winter sowing evangelist. You never have to worry about paying big bucks for regular perennials and annnuals again.

It is like a little miracle. In the fall I just scattered columbine seeds in a pot. Now I have a whole pot full of seedlings- way too many for me. Today, I transplanted collarette dahlias, tall foxglove, oriental poppies, hollyhocks, and a couple of other things into very large community pots. The hollyhocks and dahlias were almost too large to transplant!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.