Kind of wet and nothing happening yet

U.P., MI(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone,
I am new at winter sowing. I planted 50 different kinds of seeds in clear plastic deli boxes at the end of December.
I am in zone 4 or 5, northern Michigan.
I just check my seeds again and nothing is happening and the soil seems kind of wet. Should I do something more to them. Maybe I should open up the lids for a little while?
It seems like they are never going to bloom but i am trying to have faith in them. I do have drainage holes on the sides of each box and I have them in a small space between 2 garages. Maybe they need more sunlight.
Thanks for any help you can offer,
Sue

U.P., MI(Zone 5a)

I need to update this because I just checked the containers and things are starting to sprout, yay! I have forget-me-knots, red hollyhocks, and Lupine.
Some of the containers in the center of the rows are really soggy. I have these in 2 rows in between 2 garages. They are not getting a lot of light. Maybe I should move them out into my yard and take the lids off for a little while so they can dry out, Maybe put in a few more drainage holes too. This is sooo exciting!

Sue

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Sue: all of those sound like good ideas- more light and more drainage, and removing lids. But I wouldn't move ones with seedlings out into full sun all at once. You don't want them to burn. And get those lids off the germinated ones if they're still on or they'll fry in sun.

It's dark, dreary, and raining here today. Supposed to be strong thunderstorms and hail later. Figures- it's my day off.

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.