I know it's not gardeningbut I have hummingbirds!

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

For those of you that usually put up hummingbird feeders--I spotted my first hummingbird tonight at my feeder. It's time to put up the feeders, if you haven't
already done so.

Nanc

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the update! I figured that it was still too early. Jeez, none of my H'bird friendly flowers are even blooming yet. I guess it is time to dig out the feeder. Thanks again!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

I am well north of you all, but I put my feeder out last weekend.

I look at the hummingbird map and what is starting to bloom in the yard, and just thought that they will be showing up soon.

http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, LG. Hopefully, I won't make this mistake again. For some reason, I thought we were still a few weeks out...

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

Wow, you are so lucky! I've planted lots of things hummers should like, but seeing them is almost like a dream or a mirage-I pinch myself & think, 'was it really here?'

I really look forward to the hummers, I first see them at my flowering quince, I noticed that all the buds on the top part of the quince were hit by that cold weather we had, but there were a few opened close to the ground. I figure the hummers will be up my way looking for food.

I did spot a female towhee on the ground below the feeder yesterday first time I have seen this. I think this strange weather will bring a few different birds to our feeders, so keep an eye open and your bird books handy.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I never see any hummers until May, but I'll go ahead and put out the feeders in case they show up early.

Last year we ended up leaving the garage door open half the summer because a flycatcher built a nest in there on one of the flourescent fixtures. The babies were so cute. This year she, or another flycatcher, has built a nest up on the roof post of the back porch.

She apparently doesn't mind being around people.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'll get my feeder out tomorrow! Once they find me, I'll have 3 or 4 feeders up... they'll have lots of flowers to enjoy here, but most of them are not blooming yet. I got a pineapple sage for them this year also, and a friend gave me a lovely pot of fuschia that he's been propagating like mad this spring, so both of those plants will add to the buffet selections.

I kept thinking I'd heard a hummer in the yard this past week, but every time (I think) it turned out to be one of those huge black and yellow fuzzy bees buzzing past my ear!

Marlton, NJ

I had my first hummer late this afternoon.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the update Nanc. I'll get mine out as soon as possible. I also plan to plant some cinnamon ferns which I found out as a bonus hummingbirds use the fuzz of young fronds to line their nests with.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, how cool! I am thinking of trying to make one of those nest supports to hang under the eave on the other side of the morning room (away from the patio door)... I think I can crawl out of the upstairs bedroom window to get onto that roof... maybe make Jim do that part, using the persuasive arguments that A) hummers are his favorite bird and B) his balance is better than mine! Then again, I think we had 2 pairs and their families at the feeders last year, so they are finding somewhere they like to nest.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks so much for the reminder! Time to fill up my hummingbird feeder and wait for them to arrive!

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

Wow, Pelletory--I can't believe you've already managed to get pictures! It's a little chilly today, but this weekend I'll be sitting out with the camera hoping to get a photo like yours! Congrats on your first visitor as well.

Marlton, NJ

Actually I was sitting at the window in full sight of him but not moving at all except to press the shutter button.
Here he is coming in this morning and luckily I managed to get sight of his beautiful ruby throat.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Catonsville, MD(Zone 7b)

I have one feeder up & waiting! Thanks for the message of anticipation!

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I'm buying some feeders today!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Our first hummingbird showed up this evening. SO said he was a scout sent to see whether we'd put up our feeders yet. LOL

Good for you! I'm still waiting, but then I'm not sitting by the window all the time watching. They might be here just haven't spotted them yet.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks I'll get mine out this afternoon.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

The feeders are hanging from the pergola, visible from the dining table. We happened to look out while eating dinner and there was our little visitor.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I bought two new ones and put them up with the kids on Saturday morning. This was an excellent reason for the kids and me to clean the windows, and doors!

Still waiting for them to be discovered.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL - I hung my hummingbird feeder last Friday and then ignored it. Just now, my husband and I were standing in the kitchen and looking at the wildlife out in the garden. He asked if the hummingbirds had visited yet, I said, "I don't know." About 30 seconds later we saw our first hummingbird arrive at the feeder.

I looked at the clock - shortly before 7AM - and remembered that that was the time I'd usually see them show up for breakfast last year.

I bought a new feeder this year. This one has perch that you can attach. I'm glad that I did because he/she used it. Too cute. Sorry, no pic's.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I was out weeding right under one of the feeders Sunday and two showed up, chattering and humming. They're fearless little things so it didn't bother them a bit that I was about a foot away when I stood up.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I just saw my first hummer. I was staring at the feeder thinking that I need to clean and change the nectar tomorrow, and where in the world are those birds, when one suddenly appeared.

They really are beautiful.

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hummingbird report. Just saw my first one yesterday while tying up my wisteria. Heard him before I saw him right next to me. Fearless little things.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Whooee, Just saw my first for the year. The brave little soul flew up and stopped right in front of the sliding glass door and looked right in at me. Must have been visiting the Wisteria and just wanted to say Hi I guess. Holly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.