design ideas...

Spring, TX(Zone 9a)

Hello everyone,
I have a large fan palm near our pool that puts off a good deal of shade to the area below it...I would like to put some small pots underneath it, and would love any suggestions from you all as to what might look good here...It obviously needs to be shade-loving, there are only small bursts of sunlight that shine through the palm leaves at different times during the day...I was thinking of something with bright colors, that wouldn't get too tall, perhaps with variegated leaves? I'd like this area to stand out, and have a punch of color or contrast, because it is in our direct line of sight from the breakfast room/kitchen window and patio...I would love something tropical looking, or perhaps a succulent with color?

Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by abl_newbie
Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

I'm not that familiar w/ your zone, but some tropical looking plants that will take some shade are coleus (only certain varieties), New Guinea impatiens, caladiums (must be well-watered), creeping jenny- w/chartreuse foliage does well in containers & can be planted in the ground as well. There are quite a few begonias that look very exotic, but I'm not sure how they'd handle your summer heat...Thistle

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Here is a nice composition, but, I can't recommend a certain set of plants. This is just a general idea.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

There is a similar palm by my pool as well. A pot next to it had some purple blooming ice plant growing in it. The wind broke a few pieces off of it and they rooted themselves at the base of the palm. They look so good there, and have done so well, that I have just left them there. Here is a picture of the result.

Thumbnail by lily13
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Sorry, I did not realize the picture was that dark. Here is one that has been lightened up a bit, and is easier to see.

Thumbnail by lily13
Indian Harbour Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Whatever pots you use I would, personallly, stay away from the lighter colored ones. They just stand out too much. Use a darker colored pot and if you're worried about too much heat I use a plastic pot for the plant and then put that pot inside a more aesthetically pleasing pot (I like clay, but they do dry out so I try not to plant directly into them -- I live in Florida and the heat is merciless also). Serves two purposes; looks nice but importantly keeps the inside pot cooler and it doesn't dry out so fast. This works only with very large pots (for me at least).

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

?

Spring, TX(Zone 9a)

thanks to everyone for the ideas!!

Spring, TX(Zone 9a)

the results!

i think it brightens up this area a bit and adds interest..

Thumbnail by abl_newbie
Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Very nice!!!

This is mine from last year...

http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=2748029

Spring, TX(Zone 9a)

gorgeous!
love your coleus garden...

and is that a king begonia? i never see any of those in nurseries around here, but i'd like some...

what are these two?

Thumbnail by abl_newbie
Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is a link to where I asked for help ID-ing these...

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/650802/

I just happen to have rooted cuttings of both of them in my greenhouse. They grow pretty fast. I feed them MG shake and feed. they need light but no direct sun. (I guess they call that light shade) Do you want a cuting of each?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Yard Queen,

The big leaf begonia is probably not 'Lucerne' unless it is on steriods. The leaves of lucerne should be the about the same size as looking glass. When does it bloom and what color?

This comment is not meant to be prickly about light descriptions, what you have is bright/indirect light. Light shade is what you have under a Mimosa tree.

I buy timed release fertilizer at the Farm Chemical store in 50 lb bags (around $50), lasts a year and it is a lot cheaper than MG. I grow plants in my yard for clients and as a hobby. Hunderds over a year.

Spring, TX(Zone 9a)

ok dale, what type of shade would a covered patio be considered?
it's pretty bright under ours, but no direct sun light...we get a lot of reflective light off the bright pavement and pool though...

i need a list of shade definitions because i'm constantly confused by this...

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Newbie, an area that is cut off from blue sky is indirect light-or bounce light. A place that you can see blue sky, but, the sun doesn't shine directly is bright indirect light. Those are not considered shade. Usually called indirect light.

There are generally three types of shade. All of them require that some direct sun be possible. Light, medium and dark. Light shade- get some sun, like a plant at the drip line of an oak that gets sun for a couple hours a day. Medium shade is what most folks call dappled shade, under an oak with small patches of sun coming thru the leaves. Dark shade, under an oak that has an azalea planted under it. Under the azalea is dark shade, very little or no direct sun except early or late in the day.

And there are various degrees of those kinds of shade, but, if you want to get that technical you should get a light meter and measure the footcandles.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Dale,

I don't know what the larger begonia is that is why when asked I posted a link to the pictures and discussion of it. I received a cutting from DSIL years ago and she hasn't a clue. She just said angel wing begonia. It doesn't bloom much, and the blooms are a coral color I guess. At least that is what I would call the color. I think the only times I have seen it bloom is in spring...Not really sure. I would like to know what it is but I haven't a clue how to find out.

Carol

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Post it on the Begonia Forum, someone there should know. It is an incredible foilage plant.

I visit that forum once in awhile http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/713636/

Mostly I like coleus, but, I try and keep expanding my knowledge.

Spring, TX(Zone 9a)

hey yeah, good idea!
please let us know if you get an ID!

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

that is where I posted it last year and that thread was athe answer I got. Do you think I should do it again?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Yard Queen,

Yep, repost it. Every year there are new members, also sometimes you have to bump a thread up, most people (myself included) don't go down the list more that 10-15 lines. Most people only visit the site a couple times a week (I guess) so it has to be in the top 10 to catch their eye. The first photo should be the one you posted above, it really shows the size difference. Include all the info about the plant that you know. Most begonia are-everblooming, short day flowering (winter/early spring) or long day flowering (summer).

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

abl_newbie,
How did you get the circles on that pic? That's a handy trick. Please post instructions for doing that. Thanks!

Linda

Spring, TX(Zone 9a)

Linda,
I use Photoshop for my job, so unless you have a photo-editing software, i'm not sure how you could easily do that...

I believe MS Paint and a few others that come on your 'puter have some little drawing tools that you could use to edit someone else's picture then repost...Take a look on your computer, especially if you have digital camera software, a paint program, a scrapbooking program, or other packages that might include some basic editing tools...

Sorry, wish I could be more help!

-Amy

Thanks, Amy!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I would bet that these containers would need an emitter system no matter where you lived.

Spring, TX(Zone 9a)

dale, those are gorgeous palms!
i would have never guessed that something that large could go in smaller pots like that...how soon would they need to be repotted?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

When the pot breaks it is time to repot. They can grow in pots for a very long time. When those pots break I would start over with new plants. You can get a Adonidia with a 3-4' trunk for about $50.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Love that arrangement! and that coleus!!!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Y-Queen send me a B. and I'll send you that C. :-)

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Darn, forgot the photo...would this be considered a 'container'? This holly fern will certainly be 'contained'.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Dale,

What is a B

Carol

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

begonia

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, so you mean if I send my begonia you will send me some of the coleus...ok well I am already planning that!!! I have found you a couple of rooted ones and I certainly need to cut some of the mother plant as it is way bigger than the pic you saw! so you will get some unrooted also. And I don't even think I have fed it since I took it out of the "plant room" (some of my special, tender plants don't even stay in the greenhouse with the rest of the peons...LOL)

cute.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Cuter>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Cutest>

Indian Harbour Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Epcot ? Those impatiens towers sure look like the ones I saw there last month.

Spring, TX(Zone 9a)

How do they do that? Build up some sort of circular planters at varying levels, you think?
I would love to watch them do that...

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

923-Yes at Epcot.

Newbie, here is how...

Spring, TX(Zone 9a)

very cool!

giant ju-ju-bees!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.