Found this on Nectarine tree

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I found 2 of these egg masses on one small branch of my Nectarine tree, yesterday. I used the Bonide Fruit Tree spray last week. I guess it's possible that I missed the end of this branch.
What are they?
I cut the branch off and rested it on a blackberry stem to photograph before I realized it was hatching.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Here is a closer look at it. Some sort of caterpillar?
I searched the rest of the tree and couldn't find any others. I also checked my other fruit trees and found none. None on my neighbors trees, either. (That I could see.)
Thanks
Andy P

Brooklyn, NY

whatever it is- it is seriously gross

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

BugGuide.net has ID'd it as Tent Caterpillars. That fits because we had a bad time with them last Spring.
Andy P

Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

Great pictures. Good thing you got them early.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, TL. I'm sure there are many more out there but not on the Nectarine, at least.
I've been seeing an Oriole in that tree. It must be eating bugs? off the flowers/branches. My neighbor has seen the same bird in his Peach tree.
Andy P

Kansas City, MO

Well it sounds like you want that bird to stay around and eat :) I'm assuming it's a bird LOL.. I never heard of an Oriole before.

Suzi

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Suzi, you may know it as a Baltimore Oriole , we call it a Northern Oriole. Bright yellow with dark brown, nice songbird a little smaller than a Robin.
Andy P

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Suzi, This is the best pic on an Oriole I could get, my camera only has 3X telephoto. It is one of 3 that were fighting in the trees last week.
Andy P

Kansas City, MO

It looks like a robin :)

Suzi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.