I don't know what he (or she) is but we hate 'em.

Longboat Key, FL

Thanks -- I can't answer as to the birds -- but it is a long reach down from the opening, to get to the bottom for the other varmints.

We don't have raccoons, and I keep the squirrels under control with a Havahart trap. But i'll check closer on the action, this year.

:)

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

If I Google New Jersey Raccoon I get 653,000 hits. I don't know anybody who doesn't have 'em. :)

Longboat Key, FL

We live in an area, abutting Princeton, that was previously a milk farm. Nary a raccoon.

Deer -- that tall-legged scavenger -- is the real bug-a-boo. It's a battle. Some people feed them -- and hug them. Others have organized a culling process that thins out the herds each autumn. The resultant meat is given to food kitchens for the needy.

I spray -- and it seems to protect the tender foliage. In winter I screen-cover my good trees. (They would eat chain-link fence.)

: )

Waukegan, IL(Zone 5a)

more thoughts on crows:

We used to have big hordes of crows that would fly through the neighborhood in the late afternoon cawing up a storm. They reminded me of a bunch of rowdy teenagers and I always got a chuckle out of their noisy visits.

Now the crows are all but gone from around here due to West Nile virus. And here is an unexpected consequence of their disappearance. In my son's neighborhood near Chicago rabbits are a problem but had been manageable until the crows disappeared. Crows eat baby rabbits. Now the rabbit population has exploded. They are bold as brass and consider my son's garden a salad bar set just for them. They munch their way through his collection of hostas with abandon.

We are all animal lovers in our family and would never kill a bunny but when my son (who is a strict vegetarian and would never kill any creature) recently found a rabbit dead in his yard he (jokingly, I think) told me he was considering putting its head on a stake in the garden.

He, for one, is hoping that the crows will make a comeback in the Chicagoland area.

I am with you and your family on this one. I miss all the crows too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.