Spring 07 Tomato Plants

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I know everyone is starting to take pictures so come on guys lets post em!

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Gary O Sena, he's got a bit of a burn on him from the cool weather but he's a fat lill guy and very bushy.

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

This is a Carbon I think..going from memory, and it just ain't what it use to be

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Not a great shot but you can tell how tall the Black Cherry is already, DH is 5'7

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Kimberly has several but don't think it will be my earliest

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Can't remember which this is...

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

ok not a tomato but...

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Peppers

Thumbnail by araness
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

oK, NOW I'M WORRIED. I have NO trellis system in place. Just the 6 ft. steel stakes from Lowes. And I don't have very many blooms, yet. My maters are averaging about 36" tall right now, so they have a ways to go to catch up. Problem is the danged rain we've been having. Not too very many sunshiny days since January 9th plant out. I calculated 90 days to be June 20th, so I'm working on being patient and not getting discouraged.

To date I haven't sprayed my maters with anything. No bug spray, Messenger, nothing. I was gonna do Messenger this past weekend, but the rainstorms were heading our way. It thundering and lightening outside this morning, and will be through tomorrow. I'll try to spray after the rains. Also, still not sure my DH is keeping my boxes watered for me during the day. I've filled them up in the evening when I come home, but no telling what the levels were before I filled them up...

P.S. Here's the stuff I'm supposed to have on hand for spraying:
Ortho Bug B Gone (have it)
Messenger (have it)
Ortho Garden Disease Control (haven't found it yet)

How're the BBG and the OGDC different?

Your maters look great, Araness!

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

P.S. Here's the stuff I'm supposed to have on hand for spraying:
Ortho Bug B Gone (have it)
Messenger (have it)
Ortho Garden Disease Control (haven't found it yet)

How're the BBG and the OGDC different?

Bug B Gone is for insect and related type pests.

Ortho Garden Disease Control is the new name ( maybe 4 yo now) for Daconil, which is an anti-fungal to be used to help prevent fungal foliage diseases and other brands also market Daconil but you have to be sure to get the one that says 29% active ingredient in the concentrate or it's useless. Daconil is formulated in many different concentrations for different uses but the 29% concentrate is what you want for tomatoes.

It also comes with or without a spreader sticker, speaking of the Ortho product, .

If you go to ortho online they discuss all their products. I was too lazy to go fetch the actual ingredients in Bug B Gon. LOL

Carolyn

Thanks, Dr. C.!

So, the Disease Control (min. 29% Daconil content) is a VERY necessary thing for the maters, especially in our hot, humid, heat, here! (aliteration?)

Will find it, and hope to spray all on Friday a.m.

I believe I read that I should mix the Messenger first to make sure it dissolves completely. And, I can mix the BBG with the Messenger in the same sprayer bottle. I'll be using a 2 gallon sprayer. Do I set sprayer for mist? lightly spray? dripping wet? Can I also mix in the OGDC or use separately?

Thanks!

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

I believe I read that I should mix the Messenger first to make sure it dissolves completely. And, I can mix the BBG with the Messenger in the same sprayer bottle. I'll be using a 2 gallon sprayer. Do I set sprayer for mist? lightly spray? dripping wet? Can I also mix in the OGDC or use separately?

I've never used Messenger, don't intend to and so can't answer those questions. ( smile)

Daconil should not be mixed with anything else. I called Ortho quite a few years ago about that and they say to dilute it by adding it to other products or vice versa, reduces the effective concentration of Daconil molecules needed to attach and block the fungal foliage pathogen attachment sites on the leaf surface.

Carolyn

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Quoting:
reduces the effective concentration of Daconil molecules needed to attach and block the fungal foliage pathogen attachment sites on the leaf surface.

*lol * say that 10 times fast!

Translation: The Daconil won't stick to the leaves right...

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

oh I got the translation just wanted to have a good tongue twister going..

LOL! I've spent all of 15 minutes this week checking on my maters literally ON THE RUN! Getting better about being in the yard alone, but it's taking some time. Still don't go out there alone without the handgun, which makes it a little awkward to touch and feel my mater vines without shooting myself! Ya'll can Laugh now!

Anyhow, they're looking good. Off tomorrow and will spray for the first time (Messenger and Ortho BBG) and take pics in the a.m. if I can get DH out early enough for me to concentrate on holding the sprayer and then the camera without having to look over my shoulders too!

Stansbury Park, UT(Zone 6a)

araness~ Here is a pic of my tomatoes so far this Spring. Notice that they are still just little seedlings right now. I can't put mine out until May 18th here in Utah. I am looking at your photos with anticipation. I can't wait for the tomatoes. Your garden looks great!! Thanks for sharing the photos.

Thumbnail by LissyJ
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Your guys are looking really nice. Stems are getting nice and thick. How old are they now?

Stansbury Park, UT(Zone 6a)

I started them on March 18th so I guess that makes them a month old last week. I hope the stems stay nice and thick. I hate it when they get leggy. I have them in my basement under 4 - 4' lights so I am sure they have enough.

Hey gang:

Here's a question I'd like to know the answer to, for her and for myself!

Hi Everyone,

I was at my SNL's house last Sunday for supper and her daughter said she's been eating tomatoes out of her garden already. Well, I had to ask ... Hey! You've gotten ripe tomatoes already? She said she's ripening them on her window ledge. I'm not in that kind of hurry to have my tomatoes before their time, but it made me ponder how I've read that regular harvesting encourages more production in some plants and now I'm wondering should I be picking some of my green tomatoes for that reason? And aren't the fruit better if ripened on the vine?

Thank You and Kind Regards!

Lexie

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Yes, they are better on the vine...

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

Eating them on the vine hurts my neck.

(Zone 7b)

Here's my opinion and experience.

One doesn't have to leave tomatoes on the vine until dead ripe to get good flavor. I generally pick most of mine at breaker stage 3 (sometimes even 2 if a hard rain is imminent). Stage 3 is when the tomato is mostly ripe, but perhaps w/green shoulders. Stage 2 is when there is a distinct blush at the blossom end that is just starting to work its way upward.

Part of why many insist that a tomato simply has to be dead ripe before being picked is a combination of what they've been told (or heard) in conjunction with that certain charm/mystique involved in going out and casually picking a "perfectly vine ripened tomato warmed by the midday sun". Or something. ;)

Now if folks want to do that, okey doke. But it's really not necessary for peak flavor ('tho I do agree the experience of eating a vine ripe sun warmed tomato standing in your own garden is quite nice).

(Back to the original subject - I may post some pics in a few days if it stops raining; hope eveyone's garden is doing well ;))

This message was edited May 3, 2007 4:14 PM

Need your HELP!

I pruned off the lower branches on my maters yesterday, since they were laying on top of the EBs in pooled water, getting rotten. Didn't want fungus, etc. to get started. Then I realized that the pruning sites might get attacked by some parasites or whatever might like to dig in. I remembered the DACONIL (Ortho Garden Disease Control), and wento to Lowe's. They didn't have it. But, I remember Dr. C. saying as long as the product contained at least 26% Daconil, it would be ok. Well, I searched every label and nothing contained Daconil. Except -- there was a PRODUCT named DACONIL. Is this the stuff I need to buy and spray right away? To date, I've only done one application of Messenger. I was gonna do the Ortho BBG next. Haven't seen anything except some tiny little spidery looking things. Are these spider mites?

Hurry with your reply. THanks, in advance!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

can you take a picture of these tiny little spidery looking things? Would make it much easier...why did you have water pooled on your cover? Did you mound your dirt so the water would run off?

Hey Araness,
No, I didn't quite get the mounding thing right, so the top is flat and water pools. The little thingies move really, really quickly, like a mite of some sort. Not sure I can get a clear picture.

Are Daconil and Ortho Garden Disease Control one and the same or two different products? Lowe's doesn't have OGDC. But they had something in a spray bottle with DACONIL in bold letters across the front. But, I was confused, cause I checked the active ingredient and it's NOT Daconil.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

GG Dmail me your address and I'll send you a bottle of OGDC if I can find it at our HD or WM. I'll check in the morning and send it off so you should get it Saturday.

Araness,
You're a sweetie, but let me check at our HD or WM. I haven't tried them yet. I'll let you know. I'm really concerned that I opened those sites by pruning, and made the maters suseptible to predatory conditions (fungus and/or pests). Want to spray them right away, like this evening when I get home. I'll stop at WM and HD on the way and look for the OGDC. I'll let you know.

Thanks!

Hugs!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Ok let me know cause I can check in the morning and have it sent off when the post office first opens up so it will go off in the 1 P.M. mail run, won't be any problem at all.

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Here's one of my Brandywines coming along.

Thumbnail by kanita
Flanders, NJ(Zone 6a)

Kanita, beautiful...I see peppers in there as well, what kind ? Danny

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Sharp eyes Dan. Healthy looking plant Kanita.

Can we get a pic GGirl? I think pruning is a good idea - maybe throw some potting soil under the covers so no more pooling.

-Kim

Hey Dan!

Thanks. The peppers are Shishito, African Fish Pepper & Fushimi.

kanita

Thanks, Bluekat76, I'll post pics tomorrow.

Araness, I checked at WM and they had every Ortho EXCEPT Garden Disease Control! It stormed yesterday evening so I'm hopeful the rains are keeping the pruning sites clean, at least until tomorrow! . I still need to check at HD, and will do some calling this morning. Doesn't look hopeful, though.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

GG I've dmailed you my phone number call me this afternoon if you can't find it and I'll run out to wally world and look for you. Our mail runs around 4:30 so I can get it off before then. It won't be a problem.

I hit the 5-Gallon bucket MOTHER LODE!

I picked up cleaning at the local laundry yesterday, and noticed all these 5-gallon buckets that their laundry detergent powder came in. Some seemed to be collecting water from drip drying. Others were just there. So I asked what they did with the buckets, and if they were interested in giving them away. She said yes, all they do is throw them away! So, she's gonna put them to the side for me!

Don't have a huge lot now, but I'll be collecting them every chance I get. Anybody in Houston need 5-gallon buckets, let me know. Happy to share the bounty with my DG friends!

Like this!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Greensboro, AL

Gym Girl: You made a find! 5 g buckets are good for mixing potting soil. I am mixing perlite, peat, and pine bark. Not easy to mix, but if you dump a little at a time from each container 5 g container into a 55 g garbage can, even a little ol' lady and mix up a mess of potting soil. the buckets are good to use as pots as you found out. Also, I strap one onto my two-wheeled travel cart (for suit cases) and haul my groceries from the car to the house in the 5 g bucket. Saves trips and saves my back. The cart folds up and goes on a peg next to my umbrella. I use a 5 g bucket for dog toys. My greyhound loves to fish in there to find whatever she wants to play with. So far, though, she hasn't learned to put them back in the bucket!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Araness your plants look awesome! I hope to take some pics next weekend and post them. I've never posted photos before so I'll have to do some homework. I enjoyed seeing your plants! I picked two black cherry tomatoes on Thursday and a gosh darned bird or something ate half of the next one to ripen before I could pick it.

Suze - glad to see it doesn't affect the flavor much to pick them a bit early. I'll be watching the color so I can save them for me.... I feed the "drnd" birds with birdseed and give them water as well. I love birds - but I crave my tomatoes more!

Fool - that's funny! And Kanita - those look great! Let's keep posting pics since we are in such different parts of the country.

Pink Grapefruit is looking good. Maybe I will finally get to try this one.

Thumbnail by kanita

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.