Help !! re: recently transplanted red maple

Browns Summit, NC

Hi I recently moved a young red maple (about 3 ft), from another part of my yard. It was planted last spring as a 2 ft seedling and was doing well, but wanted to put it in a more sunny, prominent spot.

It had just begun to leaf out, I tried to get as much of the root ball as possible, but there was not a huge root system since it is so young and was just planted (bare root) a year ago.

It looked ok for a couple of days, but yesterday and today the leaves seem to be wilted especially in the late afternoon. It gets sun most of the day and shade late in the afternoon.

Is this just a symptom of transplanting? should I be concerned that it won't survive. It was very healthy before transplant.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

You might want to ask about this in the tree forum. I'm sure it's going through some stress from losing some of its roots. You are watering it, right? You might also want to shade it for a few days until it gets settled in. That hot afternoon sun is probably not real good for it at first.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I agree with Hart. But it has been really hot, which would stress out the tree. It is supposed to be rainy the next few days, which should be just what the doctor ordered.

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

It should be ok, JMs are sturdy trees-but definitely water well & frequently, this will make a big difference in your transplanting success.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.