Hydrangea paniculata

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Another very good link - please check it out.

http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/modop/00000745.html

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Removed by member request

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Welcome back MM - now look after that baby!! Haven't been out and about much - it's far too hot now and I'm wilting!! So I guess I'm missing all the bargains. I used to live near Williamsburg so know Yorktown - pretty area!

La Porte, IN(Zone 5A)

Hi again Louisa, It was the first cool day in quite a while yesterday, so we took off with a couple of our friends and went to a few nurseries. Had a great day and bought several plants. A new hydrangea Paniculata 'Kyusho' and really like it. Now we have 9 different varieties and will be adding more. See ya!

Eaton, IN(Zone 5a)

This is for Dan or anyone else in zone 5 or colder. What do you do to get your hydrangeas to winter over? Are there varieties you reccommend and any you discourage due to hardiness in your area? I have yet to have success with hydrangeas and am seeking advice. "Paul grow" from Michigan protects his with shredded leaves in a chicken wire cage. What do others here @ DG do? Where do you plant them (N S E W, protected by structures etc?)
Thank you in advance
Lorie in Indiana

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Breeze hydrangeas are very hardy and I have family in Chicago who grow them very successfully. I have never overwintered mine but I do leave the old flowerheads on the shrubs to protect the new growth and then cut them off when the danger of frost has passed. If you look at the links I have posted they provide useful information on siting etc. Partial shade is generally the rule of thumb but some will take full sun. Pruning is very important also. Many people complain of not having any flowers and that's because they have cut off the emerging growth. Most hydrangeas flower on old wood.

There IS a problem with some hydrangeas never blooming, though, because the tips of last year's wood get winter-killed annually. I lifted 2 Kobella Hydrangeas & shipped them off to a friend in a warmer zone after 3 frustrating years of this: they may be considered 'Zone-5-hardy' because the whole plant doesn't die in winter, but they just can't bloom here on their old wood. Oak-leaf & PeeWee & Nikko Blue are all good choices for us in colder zones. I've never had to give any of them winter protection (although they DO have the house as a wind break & are not out standing alone in an open area.)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.