Rhubarb and fruit trees?

Hercules, CA

Rhubarb under decid fruit trees?
I have gotten a lot of rhubarb roots and was wondering where to fit them in?
Anyone have any experience or knowledge about planting them under decid. fruit trees? I was thinking that the rhubarb will be pretty much done by the time the fruit trees are fully in leaf. ?
Will the rhubarb do ok without much water in the summer?
thanks,
dean

Reynoldsville, PA(Zone 6a)

i grow rhubarb mine are in a bed up by my trees but not under or right close. they have their own space. i personally wouldn't put directly under them as i would be afraid they would over grow the fruit trees and choke them out with the roots.

anywhere there is rhubarb roots you will have it especially if you move later and miss them. most people have a fit when they move it cause they can never find them all due to roots breaking when moved. i'd put them in a perminant place as they get huge at least mine do about 6ft high. mine are where i don't have to water them much but i have natural running water under my soil and they are in part shade. so that part i would say as needed because sometimes it is 100 degrees here and they need it everyday. they are by my garden so i just hose down everything same time if i notice the soil is looking dry.

hope this helps,
silkie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.