My first alpines for 2007

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

At last! We hit a whooping 45 F today and the first alpine finally opened....two in fact. Here is Draba brunifolium.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and Aethionema oppositifolia. Great fragrance on this one. I have buds showing on two other draba and lots of buds showing on the Kabschia saxifrages. If the weather can hold, another week should show some more plants.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

also blooming in the rockery is my Iris reticulata..they have been open nearly 2 weeks now, held in suspension by 35 F days!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Wow! A nice selection, Todd. Whatever holds those beauties in suspension can't be all bad. What a beautiful true, true blue.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Finally a sunny warm day! My first Primula opened. This is Primula X berninae.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Prineville, OR(Zone 6a)

Ooh, that primula is beautiful, Todd!

somewhere, PA

Now this forum will be popping with color! Spring has finally arrived in New Brunswick.
Thanks Todd - they are wonderful pictures, especially that gorgeous primula. Can't
wait to see more.

Tam

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Newfoundland Tammy, I'm in Newfoundland....but spring has hit New Brunswick too....if only we had some alpine growers there!

Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Those flowers that tolerate the cold weather to bloom are so beautiful! They are full of the energy of life!

somewhere, PA

Oops. (how does one do a red faced emoticon here anyway?)
Tam

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I surprised Dave hasn't included emoticons on DG. Most other forums do.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I've missed all the early spring postings because I've been so busy starting up my new rose & cottage gardens. but it's all the more fun to catch up. always love to see your postings Todd. and I always make notes :0)

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Draba rigida...not the showiest draba but I'll take any blooms I can get!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Corydalis solida....really a tuber but low enough to fit in the rockery!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and my first Kabschia saxifrage. Lots are showing colour in the buds but I need some heat! This one is Saxifraga versiculata.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Hi Todd,
They are so beautiful!! Finally, it is the biginning of a flowering season, isn't it?
It's early summer weather in here. I'd like to send the heat for you:) Saxifraga versiculata is new for me. The silver green leaves and exquisite white flowers are very nice combination.

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Hi Todd! Your Corydalis looks so healthy and vigorous. I had no luck with Corydalis solida, until I tried the cultivar 'Beth Evans'. Here is a picture of it taken last week.

Thumbnail by June_Ontario
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

June yours is so much more vibrant than mine. I have a couple of pale pink ones but the rest are this dull purple-pink. They grow gang-busters in my garden.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

both of the Cordyalis look wonderful to me!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Primula glaucescens opened a couple of days ago.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

That's one gorgeous primula! The leaves look almost succulent.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

My corydalis solida are fairly dull colored also. But they are still cute. I always wondered about some of the strains out there. Beth Evens is sure worth it!

Meanwhile, I am enjoying EVERY photo posted on this forum. Thanks All!

(Zone 4a)

All of this is inspiring!

somewhere, PA

Here's an aubretia in beautiful bloom
Tam

Thumbnail by Tammy
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Todd, I love the color on the primula!

Tam, the aubretia is lovely. I have some seeds started and my fingers crossed

somewhere, PA

I've had good success with Aubretia from seed. I should start more! They are sure pretty.
Somehow too easy to be a "real" rock garden plant though. LOL

I picked up a couple of cute sax's today. I'll be posting pic when they bloom.

Tam

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Speaking of Sax's , here's my 'Hindhead Seedling'

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

My first pulsatilla is out. I have several othesr but this one always blooms a week or more before the others.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

A vulgaris, Todd? A fine crop of hairs too, and I'm not trying to be funny. It's the most endearing quality of pulsatilla's, I think.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

beautiful plants, Todd. the color on the pulsatilla is wonderful.

Tam, funny about the aubretia. I was kind of thinking the same thing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.