Growing Tomatoes in Columbia MO...

Columbia, MO

Hey all - I'm brand new to the board... I grow tomatoes in containers on my patio... typically a mix of determinate and indeterminate varieties. I've got a few plants going this year and decided to combine my love for growing these wonderful fruits with my passion for photography and created a blog, yeah kinda cheesy I know :-). I am excited to see so many local Missouri gardeners here - it seems like today was really the kick off for alot of people starting their spring gardening. Anyways, check out the blog, let me know what you think: http://www.tomato-odyssey.blogspot.com/

-Andy

Here is a pic of 2005's grow... a Big Beef variety in a 5 gallon bucket.

Thumbnail by AndyTomato
Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I am from Columbia too. I really like the farmers market we have here. I do not remember the name but last year one of the vendors really liked heirloom tomatoes and had a LOT of different varieties to try. I don't know when they start up for the year.

Columbia, MO

I'll be interested to check out the farmer's market - I've only lived in Columbia a few months, but I really like the town. Do you know where the market is held?

Fulton, MO

I think it is in the parking lot behind what used to be Payless Cashways, north of 70 across from Cosmo Park.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I love the farmer's markets in Columbia.. There had been two. One by the old Payless Cashways and one over by the ARC

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

The one over by the ARC is the original farmers market and the one I go to the most often. The other one broke off from the main group due to space limitations I think. The one by the ARC is where the tomato guy was last year. I saw a billboard advertising the hours off of I-70 near the stadium exit so I guess they have started for the year.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I checked out your blog and was quite impressed with your photos and amused by your wit.

I bought one bag each of blood meal, bone meal, and potash because it just seemed like a good idea, but I'm rather clueless on how much to apply when and to what. I'm still trying to figure that part out. If all else fails, I'll read the directions on the packages. Looks like you've got the blood and bone meals working for you.

What's the ARC?

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I forget what the A stands for .. but RC is Recreational Center, I think.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

ARC stands for Adult Recreation Center. It is a wonderful building maintained by the Columbia Parks and recreation department.

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

Welcome Andy - from Dave in Springfield.

If you're a hard-core tomato grower, you will want to follow the Tomato Forum. there are some real pro growers (and lots of amateurs like me.)

Columbia, MO

Dave: Good to meet ya - does the tomato forum require a subscription or upgraded forum pass or whatever it is?

Greenebrain: I'm glad you are enjoying the blog, I'm trying to keep it updated weekly - the plants are much bigger now, its amazing how fast they grow - hope to have fruits by the middle or end of June.

Kathy and Tetley: Thank you for the farmer's market info - I will have to get down there and check those out, when do they start, and what days/times? Thanks

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I go to the Columbia Farmers Market on Saturday mornings. I think they are open from 9am until noon. There is a billboard on I-70 just before the stadium exit that will tell you what hours they are there on other days of the week.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.