Verbena bonariensis making me want to cry...

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Has anyone started Verbena bonariensis from seed. I planted a flat and three and a half weeks later NOTHING! My only hope is that i read a website that said it had slow and spotty germination.

How can these things be self sewing across the country (to the point that some places are considering declaring them a noxious weed) and I can't get them to grow?!

What am i doing wrong?

Melissa

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Can you tell us a little more about how you planted the seeds and the conditions you're using (grow lights? heat mat? how deep did you plant the seeds? etc)

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

They were just sprinkled on top of a flat and gently watered in. They sat in the dark for three days (recommended by a website) and since then they have been under grow lights. No heating mat.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You could try a heating mat, that will sometimes speed up the process for seeds that are a little reluctant otherwise. I really don't understand where the 3 days of darkness part came from, I think either seeds want light to germinate or they don't. My guess if they want light so I think you've got it right now. With some seeds the age/freshness is also very important--if they self-seed really readily in nature but are supposedly reluctant to sprout when you buy seeds from somewhere, my guess would be that they need to be pretty fresh to give you the best germination. My other question is whether you got them from a seed supplier who you've had good luck with before as far as germination--I've found some seed vendors take better care of their seeds than others, I'll get better germination of a particular plant from one vendor than from another.

Waterbury, CT

I grew Verbena bonariensis from seed about 3 years ago. Nothing grew and I left the tray outside and forgot about it. Sure enough weeks later I had some little sprouts. It had been left out in some very cold weather, so you may want to check if it needs cold weather to get started. Germination wasn't great, but I did get several plants.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

I'd just plant the seed outside where you wanted them and be patient. If they grow well in your area they will grow eventually if you don't disturb them. some seeds need
stratification, or scoring to let the water in usually done by the seed co. if you buy them,some take a certain period of cold, light covered not covered etc. Unless you're growing plants commercially, why do all the replicating of mother nature and all the time and effort required unless you're on a deadline? Then of couse you have to harden them off. Under the precise and perfect conditions and controlled environment of a green house everything looks beautiful and perfect, then when the time comes and they have to be put out into the real world in less than ideal conditions, wind too much rain too little rain, cold hot insects etc. they get their battle scars. some have spotty germination for protection. if they all germinated at the same time and a late frost came they'd all be dead.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

You're probably not doing anything wrong, plant them outside water, fertilize when they need it and go plant something else in the meantime. good luck and this is just my philosophy and I understand probably very controversial, but I hope I was of some help unless this plant is a houseplant or something

Vienna, ON(Zone 5b)

I agree with Len, except for the fertilizing part. Verbena Bonariensis does not need fertile soil-- it'll grow pretty much anywhere. It self-sowed very readily in my previous garden-- to point of weediness. The seeds need fluctuating day and night temperatures to germinate-- don't bother pampering it with bottom heat. Just press the seeds gently into some damp seeding mix, spray, and put the tray outside in dappled or part shade so they don't fry. Keep the soil moist (bottom water and/or spray) and you'll have seedling popping up in no time. This variety of verbena grows very quickly. It's a real bee magnet-- quite lovely with other tall annuals with a contrasting flower shape. I like it mixed with Cleome and tall, old-fashioned orange marigolds.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

I think bev knows what she speaks! thx bev

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Thank you, each and everyone,

I'll put them outside and see what happens. Maybe the cold nights will do the trick.

I have started most flowers and veggies (thousands over the years) inside because of the harsh conditions and short growing season here. We are at 4300 and very arid. A plug size plant will make it here with water (lots of water,) seeds planted outside are just too prone to blow away, get eaten by hungry birds, rabbits, ground squirrels, or just never come up. The ones that do come up do fine, but i get 5 or 6 out of a packet of seed instead of 50 or 60.

I usually do great, this particular plant is driving me nuts though (probably because i want it so bad.) LOL I have my fingers crossed and ROX has generously offered me some of her volunteers coming up. So, "verbena on a stick" i will have.

Thanks again, and Happy Earth Day!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

If your seeds don't sprout, I can send you all the seedlings you could ever possibly need in this lifetime! It even grows in the cracks between the house and the sidewalk.

From what I remember, the volunteer seeds start sprouting around Mid May here when it starts getting warm...then they're everywhere!!!

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

JasperDale,

Thank you so much for the offer. It really means more to me than you could possibly know! I'll D-mail you, I would like to offer you something in trade.

Melissa

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I don't remember it seeding itself readily at our old house but it does have some long roots - just when you think you've gotten rid of it, it would pop up somewhere close by. Very nice plant if you keep it contained. It is also very mildew prone in our climate.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Ahhhhhh Mildew!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.