Gourd Craft in Japan

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hi, Grourd lovers,
Regrettably, I myself haven't had any experience to grow gourds,
but there are many gourd enthusiats in Japan and they have been enjoying to make various crafts of them.
I'll show you some works at a gourd exhbit that I happend to look at.

Tomtom

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Crossville, TN

Thanks, tomtom....those are beautiful....Jo

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hi roadrunner,

Thank you for looking at the pics.
I'll post some more pics .
Thank you .

Tomtom

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow... #5 is remarkable.

xxxxx, Carrie

Crossville, TN

They are ALL remarkable!! I espically like # 6....birds...Sand Hill Cranes?

Tomtom....do you have any idea what kind of gourds those are in # 7? I'd love to have some seeds of one of those. Jo

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Carrie,
Fancy meeting here!!

---------------------------------------

Jo,
Is there any defference between US gourd crafts and Japanese ones?
I've found a supplier in Japan,
http://esearch.rakuten.co.jp/rms/sd/esearch/vc?sv=6&v=2&e=0&s=0&sid=217108&sn=%CC%FB%D6%DA%A4%CE%A5%BF%A5%CD%A4%CE%A4%AA%C7%E3%A4%A4%CA%AA%A1%A1%C2%C0%C5%C4%A4%CE%A5%BF%A5%CD&su=otaseed&p=0&g=0&sitem=%A4%D2%A4%E7%A4%A6%A4%BF&f=A&nitem=&min=&max=

Bellflower, CA

The #6 birds are wonderful. The black bills, legs, heads, and outlined feathers show off nicely on the white.

I have four dipper gourds with curved necks that I’ve been wondering how to decorate. This is a good idea (with a few deviations of my own).

Thank you!
Loyd

Phoenix, AZ

Tomtom,
Love the artful display of those unique gourds in pic #7
Thanks for sharing!
(Jo, Missed you on this last Saturday-SWAP)

Crossville, TN

OK...I looked at the web page you put up Tomtom....I can't read it!! How do I go about ordering seeds of #'s 370, 390 & 440? (I take it theyr are selling seeds not the gourds).

Loyd...are you going to Drdon's RU in Temecula? It should be anoather great time.

Aguane....I was sorry to miss the swap but my widowed Support Group had a trip planned to the Amerind Foundation Museum (plus lunch at Triangle T Ranch & Fairbanks Ghost Town is now open)....I had been wanting to go to the Native American museum since I moved here. Jo

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Tom-tom,

Any idea how thay make something like #5? Carved? Don't give me instructions please!!

xxxx, Carrie

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hi Loyd and Aguane

So happy to hear that I'm of some help to you.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi roadrunner,

The numerals on the list mean Japanease yen.
At the monent,440 yen amount to about $3.6.
It obtains 20 seeds.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Hi carrie,
Seems like the creator marks the patterns on the gourd and cut them out with a cutter.
Needs great skill, doesn't it ?

This message was edited Apr 24, 2007 8:24 AM

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Thumbnail by Tomtom
OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I can't get my mouth to close! Those cutwork ones are astounding! It looks like 2, 3, and 7 have stoppers. I wonder if they're actually used as bottles.

Okay, I HAVE to get that corner of my garage set up. It's been planned in my head WAY too long now. Thanks, tomtom -- you've provided the necessary inspiration. Unless I lose a finger trying, I'm going to do something with cutwork. It won't be as nice as those (yet!) but I'm determined on this one.

Really awesome.

Jo, though I haven't paid for anything in yen, if you pay with a credit card, my experience with euros and pounds has been trouble-free. The site (I haven't looked at it yet) may have a conversion table.

Crossville, TN

The whole site is in Japanese!! except for the numbers I posted....LOL I have enough trouble reading English...unless it has some "Southern" thrown in! Jo

Bellflower, CA

Hi Jo,
I won’t be able to make it to the R U in Temecula. I am signed up for an Elderhostel program in the Chesapeake Bay area during that time. I tried to get the date changed, but I was too late. It looks like this roundup will be even better than last year.
Loyd

Crossville, TN

Hey Loyd....I have thought about doing the Elderhostel thing myself....and I lived at Virginia Beach for 13 years......After Drdon's I plan to fly to Nashville....where my son will meet me...then on to WV, VA and GA....will be gone East for about a month!! Jo

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

How to cut holes that tiny without smashing the entire creation!!!

Carrie

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Isn't it astounding? I finally primed and painted the garage, and have put up shelves and pegboard, and set aside a gourd corner with a table, chairs, and shelves right by an electric outlet. I hope to get my dremel, wood burner, and paint brush going soon. I haven't done anything gourdish since I moved in last May!

Crossville, TN

Good going! Jo

Valley Village, CA

Those are impressive. I was just getting ready to plant some. Norma

Crossville, TN

Hey Norma....did you receive the seeds I sent you?

Will I see you at Temecula? Jo

Mesilla Park, NM

Thank you for posting these TomTom, Great photos.

Great artists there and my mouth is hanging open too..some of these look like solid wood. I wonder how they get them so clean? I love them..
Antoinette

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

This is weird. It's like the Universe is pushing me as hard as it can to do gourd work. The Gourd forum is on my list, and half the time it shows YES, that there's something new. I click on it, and there's nothing new. It just keeps me going back to GOURDS. It doesn't do this on any other forum.

I think God might get mad at me if I don't go home and start working. What do you think? It's as good an excuse as any to drop everything else and get going on the gourds.

Crossville, TN

if you take the u r out of Gourd....and place it in front to the rest of the letters ....you have....

U R God!!

I guess that means that God loves Gourds too. Jo

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

One more reason to stop the meaningless stuff and get busy on God's gourds!

Bellflower, CA

Jo has a magic wand that she waves over this forum making us come back.
Loyd

Crossville, TN

*waving magic wand*....LOL Jo

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you, Jo -- my shoulders are all tingly now.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Wow, TomTom... #5 is awesome handwork, and the cranes are VERY creative!

After I get my vegetable garden in, I may take out my bed to I can set up a workplace in my bedroom and just sleep on the couch. No other space available. Most of my dried gourds are here but all my other craft stuff is still in storage in NC. My paints are no doubt all dried out after 3 years in storage... $300 worth of paints. My jeweler's torch and tanks are here and a few hand tools.

Mesilla Park, NM

darius,
wait till the weather gets agreeable and work on them outside, that stuff can really make you sick.. i always get a really bad sinus infection when I work on them (even with my mask on).. just take care..

Jo,
Love your wand..

A.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Gourd, I do the cleaning and/or cutting outside, just the painting, inlays and metal work inside. Oh, and I always use a respirator mask.

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Hi,every one,

many thanks for your comment.
So happy that the pics are of some use to you.

Tomtom

Houston, TX(Zone 10a)

O, these are truly beautiful, I have grown gourds and painted them... Been wanting to do some pre-cuttings on some, then a partial stain them before the final peel. I hope mine come out even 1/16 as nice as any of those :D

Newalla, OK(Zone 7a)

amazing!!! hard to believe they were once growing on vines...#9 is breathtaking.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.