Gobo, Burdock, Arctium lappa

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

I'll be growing two varieties of burdock and don't know if they need to be islolated from each other. With the way butterflies go for them, I'd say they'll cross. Any ideas?

somewhere, PA

you are growing burdock????

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Yep. It's an Asian species that's been bred for its edible roots. Grows fast, and you can't kill it! I hear that the wild ones aren't bad either, but I think I'll stick with something more domesticated.

somewhere, PA

I battle burdock in my fields. Don't know what type it is but its certainly tough to kill.

Tam

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Well, maybe dig up some roots and see what you think. I had an elderly friend who grew up on his granparent's farm in Germany and he said that when they were working way out in the field and hungry, they'd dig up a wild burdock and eat it like a carrot to tide them over to meal time. Either it wasn't too bad or they were just plain hungry. Maybe you'll find a use for it.

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Bump. Anybody?

somewhere, PA

I did find that they smell really good when I pull them. But eat them... ummmm...
not that brave. And I'd never plant them deliberately.

How are yours doing?
Tam

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

I must have gotten a bad batch of potting soil because hardly anything came up... heard similar complaints about the same brand. I'll try again next year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.