HOneYSicKle QueStioN?????

Riverton, UT(Zone 6a)

I have a beautiful honeysickle that i would love to start some more of. What is the process to get it a peice of it started and how long should I wait till It goes into the ground? thanks so much guys

Lesh

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

LOL - I wish you could see how much of that stuff there is around here - I'm pulling it out of my front beds!

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

I have a whole line of them in the back yard. the shrub kind, 8ft high mostly, I pruned some of the bushes to a foot above the ground. a week later I had a whole mess of sprouts about 2-3ft high. I guess when they were opened up to let the sunshine in they just exploded.
it will sucker and sprout up everywhere on it's own unless you mow it with the mower.
so whereever you want it just don't mow there.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Lesh,Mine doesn't spread wildly for me.Actually I wish it would a little more.Must be my location or something.LOL I usually just snip off about a 5 inch new growth piece,strip the bottom few rows of leaves off and root it in water.This time of year you should be able to get it rooted fast.Then just plant it where you want it and let it grow.Good Luck : ))
Nancy

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I think whether or not it spreads wildly may depend on what kind of honeysuckle you have... Japanese honeysuckle can be extremely invasive. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1641/index.html

I've got L. americana http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/73169/index.html growing against the side of my house, and a couple of branches layered themselves in a pile of sunflower seed shells (on the patio, under the bird feeder) over the winter.... I snipped off the branches and potted them, burying the rooted portions, and they're doing fine. So you might try pinning down a couple of branches, maybe stripping off a couple of sets of leaves and burying a couple inches of stem just under the surface (a rock or a landscape staple will hold it in place)... when it has rooted, sever it from the mother plant and let the roots continue to grow for a bit before moving it to a new location.

Riverton, UT(Zone 6a)

im not sure what kinda i have. is there a way of telling? i know that i got it from a reputable nursery (not that matters lol) it is the dark pink and creamish color. thanks for the added information..

lesh

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

Mine get 8 or 9' feet high they either start out pink and turn white or they are 2 different varieties, not sure they were here when i bought the house. but they are what I would call invasive, as they spread everywhere. very vigorous, late frost only slowed them slightly

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Lesh, you might be able to get in touch with the nursery to get the species name.... see if the photos in the PF links I posted help you to make an ID.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.