Garden Poetry

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

For all my Friends on this Forum......

I know we are all avid gardeners and it is near and dear to our hearts.

Occasionally, I have taken it a step further and actually written a Poem to, or about, my Garden. I just get these "moments" and the brain does the rest. Couple glasses of wine
help also. Kind of loosens up the imagination.

I wrote this just today. Got tired of watching Oprah and started jotting down the first couple of verses. Some of this also came to me in the night. Maybe THAT is why I do not sleep! :o) Holding my fingers crossed that all the verses stay together. Sometimes lines get a bit scattered when you c/p and then re-format the text in the Post. I will know in a second. Pressing "send" NOW!

SEASONS
(Gita Veskimets-- April, 2007)

The Garden wakes--
It's breast heaves slowly.
With all its dormant strength
it takes a breath
and blows away the remnants of Winter.
And it feels renewed.

The Garden wakes--
It sighs at all yet to be done
and hopes of glorious things to come.
It drinks in the dew in the morning
and the rain of the night.
And its thirst is quenched.

The Garden wakes--
It wipes the sleep from its eyes
and is blinded
by all the glory and the color
that laid beneath the earth so long.
And it revels in things well done.

The Garden gives--
unselfishly--of all the bounty it has cradled
in it's loving arms;
And at days end
It rolls itself up in the green, green grass
And it rests.

The Garden sighs--
the burden now heavy on it's chest.
It gasps for cool air
and thirsts for refreshing rains and soothing nights
that now come so seldom--
and it tires of the effort.

The Garden struts--
it’s wondrous wardrobe of the Fall,
Lovingly embroidered with the colors of the setting Sun.
and feels that it was a job well done.
And before the golden yarns unravel from its cape,
It lays its head on the soft, fallen leaves—

The Garden sleeps.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This one I wrote in 2003. I was so frustrated at the weather. Much like this April has been. It seems really appropriate this year as well. I love this Poem. It is very emotional to me. I am just such a softee......

Does anyone else put their feelings to their garden on paper?

Maybe we need a "Writer's Forum". or--How about a "I'm a poet and don't know it" Forum. You listening, Dave??????

SPRING

Make a wish for the sun to shine-
Let the days be yours and mine.
Flowers swaying in the breeze,
Birds all singing in the trees.

Snow to melt and grass to grow.
Tulip heads in my beds to show.
Geese on wings in the sky above
All living things-- so full of love.

The earth is stirring--my green grass grows
Daffodils blooming in pretty rows.
Robins hop, and sparrows nest--
Which fork in the tree wil be the best?

I scan my garden and hope for the best,
That all will be well, before I rest.
Where soil is now--oh so bare!
My flowers will be fighting for a
place to share.

I worry and fret, I scan the scene,
Will it ever again soon be green?
Will roses bloom and lilacs sway
Their fragrance whafting over my way?

I have to remind me, day by day,
That nature always has her way.
Flowers grow--and seeds they sow,
And where they land....I do not know!

Here's a pansy--there's a mint!
Sunflowers!!!......I had no hint!
Here's a maple--there's a holly,
What's peeking out there?.....
It's Lily of the Valley!

I sit and I savor--on my porch swing I rest,
Again to my Garden, I have given my best.
My eyes and my senses caress all I see,
And, again, it has given it's all to me!

I look at the earth-- I look at the sky,
I see another summer flying bye.
I fear not!--worry not!...for you see,
There will always be another spring for me.

Love, Gita
April 8. 2003

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

gita- I enjoyed those. Thanks for sharing. I don't have anything ready to post, poetically- hope someone else does.........
I was trying haiku lately, but didn't write them. Maybe while I'm going to sleep tonight. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Tulips in the vase
Open huge so bold so bright
House is black and white

OK strictly elem school there! I cut some yellow tulips the other day and they were so big and cheery looking they made the rest of the kitchen seem very drab

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Gita, so lovely! Thanks for sharing. I use to write poems, and paint and draw but got away from it many years ago, creative juices dried up or life got in the way.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally,

What is "haiku"?

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita...I may have to post some of my works. A haiku is a form of poetry containing three lines and the first line is five syllables, the second seven syllables, and the third five syllables again (5-7-5). It is originally a Japanese form of poetry, but the Japanese form does not adhere to the 5-7-5 format.....

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

oh...and a haiku is usually unrhymed

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

noobiegardener,

Your "big brother" thinks we should get together as we live in the same town. He is probably going to forward you my latest effort. So far I have met a couple of people that post here.

I don't see you posting on the Mid Atlantic a whole lot. There are a lot of fun people here. Did you see where I am offering another box-full of dug up Lilies of the Valley? If you have a garden and would like to have some, D-mail me. I have Rudbeckias also--the perennial kind.

I would love to see some of your poetry. I just dabble in it--once every 5 years or so I come up with one. You are a pro!

I live 5 minutes away from the White Marsh Mall. Glen Burnie is not all that far. I have been to the HD there a couple of times.

Gita

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita...thanks for the compliments but I'm no pro! I hope to one day be though. I am working on a web site to display all of my works.

I'll d-mail you one or two things. I want to write books more than poetry. You can see some of my writings here also:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/52768/audra_russell.html

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Nice work, Audra!

BTW--I LOVE the name Audra. We have it also in my country of Latvia. It seems sooooooo---"cosmic"!

NOW, for the rest of you---Come on! I am sure many of you have a "ditty" somewhere you wrote! Please share it with us here.

If you don't have it, make it up as you sit here writing. it will be fun!

Here! I'll start--

Take some words and make them fit,
Put in lines of three or four;
And before a minute's gone,
You'll be abroad the "Poet Tour".

Gita

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I once had a rose from nantucket
whose bloom was as big as a bucket,
when Gita came here
I said "oh my dear,
I better watch her or she'll pluck it!"

hey you begged..........

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--I just LOVE that!!!!!! AND--it is personalized for Moi!

MORE!!!!........................MORE!!!!!

My turn!

I swallowed my pride
And asked for a ride
To Hart's amazing Plant Swap.
When Sally said OK.
Didn't quite know what to say,
It almost made my jaw drop.

Teee-----Heee---Ain't this fun?????

Gita

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita thanks for the compliment. My father named me. There is an old tv western show called "The Big Valley" and my dad likes that show. One of the character's names is Audra. My dad really liked it so he gave that name to me. Even with all of the people named Audra, it's still pretty uncommon and I have only met about 5 people in my life with my name. There is a famous singer named Audra McDonald, and of course there is Mrs. Roper from the tv show Three's company, Audra Lindley.

Southern, CA(Zone 8b)

Oh' Beautiful Garden

I'm starting to sow,
a garden to show,
As I remember,
It's only november
My garden is sprouting,
There is no doubting,
Little green bud, I see,
Is that you Mr tea tree?
I see a mexican hat,
Next to a mignonette,
Sweet curly cilantro,
Slightly flying fro,
Parsley and marjoram,
Growing so slow,
Anxiously waiting,
For them to show,
Your raised bed is waiting,
No more hesitating,
I can't wait till spring,
When I'll gloriously sing,
Oh' beautiful garden.

by, Susana,2005

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Susana,

That is so beautiful!
I know we all love our gardens and there is a lot of emotion associated with them.

Thank you for your entry. It bumped up this thread for some new people to see--and hopefully, to contribute to.

GIta

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey Gita,

You know I just found out my name means 'storm' in Latvian. How neat is that? In America, it means noble strength.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Audra,

I suppose you were referring to your first name? Where did this definition come from? Who told you that? Would they have confused Latvian with Lithuanian? This is a common thing. I do not know what the word for "storm" is in Lithuanian, but I could find out with a phone call. My hairdresser is Lithuanian.

The word for "storm" in Latvian is "vetra". The "e" is long--as in the word "panel". Not even close!

Gita

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes, it was Lithuanian. I remember it was something that started with an 'L'. Sorry for the confusion.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Gitagal: I love your poetry!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

BUMP......

Just reading the Tomato Thread and there is a new Post about the bad tastew of the Early Girl Tomato (or something like that)/ There are so many "Odes" written to the Early Girl Tomato--pros and cons.....but ALL funny. Seems everyone got inspired to follow the one who wrote the first one.

See! Garden Poetry lives on--even if it is not on THIS Thread.

Check it out! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/766789/

Gita

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Not profound, but one I wrote years ago using the rose as a metaphor:

Love & The Rose -- 5/23/98
~ Chantell

The rose...how easy to see why over the years it’s been metaphorically compared to a great love...even in it’s early stages it’s beauty is apparent to all...delicate and fragile as it may seem as a bud it still displays an underlying strength all it’s own. As it matures to full bloom it fills the senses...almost overwhelmingly so. A masterpiece to the eyes...it’s scent is like no other...velvet-like to the touch. One could be in awe of it...watching it as the sun gently kisses it’s petals...and the rose flourishes in it’s warmth. Or how a balmy breeze playfully entices the rose for the first dance.

What happens pray tell when the rose begins to wither...whether it be gradual or a sudden, unexpected death? The pain is as real as the loss...the questions of “why?” go unanswered...and the yearning for what once was goes unfulfilled.

Even in death it lives. Although appearing lifeless to ones eyes, step closer...quietly breathe in it’s scent...for it’s fragrance lingers on...just as the memories live on forever more within the confines of one’s mind and heart...never forgetting the beauty of it all...but relishing in the splendor of what once had been.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I like that!

Roses make good metaphors...

A phrase that's stuck in my mind... a friend of mine, talking about getting to know his sister again now that they were both adults, said learning about her was "like unfolding a rose."

I think that's better than Shrek's onion metaphor!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, Chantell--That is so poignant and "deep". So full of all the truths of what it is like to grow a Rose. I true love affair!

If you have Roses now--you can gather their petals just before the bloom looks almost "finished". Best gathering is after the first bloom in Spring. Spread them out on a wicker plate, or tray, and in a few days you will have dried rose petals--still holding their fragrance. The top of the fridge is the fastest place to dry anything.
I do all my herb drying (Dill, Parsley, Rosemary) up there on plates. 2-4 days and they are done.

I potpourri everything that dries well in my garden. Some plants do NOT dry in a desirable way. Like Begonias, Impatiens, Petunias, etc. Their petals are full of water.
Then again, I cut up the snowy white top growths of the Dusty Miller this time of year, before they die back, and they dry beautifully. Right now, as my blooming Mandevilla drops it's blooms, I gather all of them (and my neighbor's) and they dry, absolutely, true to color.
I take the blooms of my Brugs as they finish up and cut off the bottom, colored part and cut it up small. I take the small Marigold blooms and pull them off before I throw out the plant. Cut of bunches of Ageratum.
Scented geranium is awesome! Lavender in the Spring---and on and on....Anything and everything.

I have a fairly big, plastic tote constantly full of potpourri. Every now and then, I buy a scented bag of store potpourri and mix it in for the fragrance. You need a "filler" of sorts. Seed pods and small cones (like from Hemlock) are great.

Oh, well---I really digressed.......:o(......Sorry!

Please post some more verses--long or short.

Gita*********************************

Once I start talking
My tongue goes "walking"
It never knows when to stop!
My brain keeps squawking
And I keep gawking
At what comes out from the "top".

:o)..............:o)................:o)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.