Suggestion for edible screen planting

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I have a south-facing spot that needs a screen to protect my shade lovers from the hot, summer sun. I can put up a trellis for the plant to grow on (or not) and I want something that produces food for me or critters and prefer decidious. Something that grows maybe 6' tall and is fairly dense would be good. I am in zone 6b and have generall acid soil. Oh - and I know this is silly - yellow, orange or red flowers are preferred. All suggestions will be appreciated.

Poquoson, VA(Zone 7b)

I'd look at the various viburnums out there for one that suits. Another possibility might be some highbush blueberries. They have white-to-pinkish flowers, but will often give you your yellow-to-red spectrum in the fall leaf show.

Other possibilities that I've heard of, but don't know much about the colors or growing habits of: huckleberry, aronia, quince, and possibly a weeping mulberry or a filbert hedge.

Thank you. I actually considered almost every one of those and ended up ordering a Smokey Serviceberry.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Gooseberry would have worked.

I have a gooseberry that I can move there if the serviceberry doesn't work out. Thanks!

Greensburg, PA

Yankee,

For me the service berries do not grow very fast or very thick. It may take a while.

Oh. That is why it is so little. What about evergreen huckleberry?

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Hi,

An evergreen huckleberry will grow tall (up to 8 feet) in a partially shady spot, but if they get full sun may only get to 3-4 feet or so.

http://www.onegreenworld.com//product_info.php?products_id=1710

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I have 2 Service berry shrub/trees. I never get to eat any of them, but that is alright I planted them for the birds. The birds eat the fruit before they are ripe, all are gone now.

Blueberry shrubs are a lot of work here as my soil is so very alkaline, but I keep trying as I love blueberries.

DonnaS

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.