What should I plant here?

I need some help deciding what to plant in this small bed, please. It is at the front of our carport, and faces west, so gets afternoon and evening sun. This bed is right by our back door, which is the door we, and our friends and family, always use, (if they come to the front door, they are uninvited strangers! LOL) as well as right at the edge of the patio where we cook out (though it is far away from the grill itself, so that heat is not a concern) and sit in the evenings. Therefore, I would like something fragrant and pretty. The bed is approximately 3 feet wide and 3.5 feet long. The soil is pretty decent for our area, but I can amend it a bit, if need be.
I have had a thousand ideas, but can't decide. I thought of planting a datura there, but would like something that is evergreen so that it's not an empty bed in the winter. That rules out a hydrangea as well, and the sun might be too intense in the middle of the summer for that, anyway.
I'm not necessarily wanting to plant just one large plant there, either. Several plants of different kinds would be fine, too.
I have some herbs that I just bought - Rosemary, Lemon Mint, Greek Oregano, and Sage, but I don't think it's big enough for an herb bed. I just don't know what to do! LOL
It was used as a nursery bed last fall and through the winter, and is an awful mess right now, so please ignore or take pity on the little hydrangeas that suffered so from the awful freeze we had recently. Obviously, all this will be removed before I actually plant whatever I'm going to plant.
I'd appreciate any ideas or pictures you might have. Maybe some of you have a small bed and could post pictures of what you've done with it.
Thanks so much!

Thumbnail by RainGazer
This thread has 34 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!