New arrivals

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Picked up this Teddy Berry and another Watermelon (a 25 gal spec.) this last weekend.....The watermelon had damage from the freeze but is on it's way to recovery.....I got 50% off on this one.....gotta love it

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Here is a second of the Teddy

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Here is the Large Watermelon

Thumbnail by radman
Vista, CA(Zone 10a)

John from Tropical Vibe?

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Yep that is the man.....Nice person to work with..... a busy guy he is..

Oceanside, CA(Zone 9b)

Nice Teddy Bear. I've seen way more Red Neck palms, and I like the Teddy much better. The leaves are more graceful looking.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

Those are two NICE trees ya got there.
That Chambey did take a hit didn't it. Did he say how cold it got for it to get so crispy?
Teddy Berry huh? Haven't heard of that one yet.

Hayward, CA

Hey Radman,very nice pickups. The teddy bear is off to a good start. And Radman,if that is your first greenhouse, i can tell you that it will save you in total palm years-decades of time in raising seedlings. I have had some tropical palm species grow from seed to trunking in as little as three years. And those were like the palms Palmbob say's have grown outdoors in SouCal for a decade -with still no trunk. I had some stilt palm species do that. Tropical plants and Tropical greenhouses,I can't say enough good about each.

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

BayArea.....Thanks....I am looking forward to growin in the greenhouse...I will have alot to learn about it...
Curt

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

I just noticed that I typed in Teddy Berry in the first post....duh.....Anyway I have a problem happening with the Teddy Bear.....All the tips of the palms are turning a dark brown and covers about 2 to 3 inches of the tips....What would cause that.....I know they had just came in from Hawaii and Johnny said they were sun growin....does it need to go under shade?
Curt

Vista, CA(Zone 10a)

Sun grown HI does not equal sun grown CA. Also, that is what John says, but sun grown could mean they had a few hours each day. I found that these palms hate windy sites. Mine brown tipped as I put them in a some what exposed area. Then they froze later. :)

I would not think it is sun as only the tips are browning. Usually the whole leaflet that is exposed to the direct sun will brown, not just the tips.

I am sure PB will know more.

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

I'll take a picture on Friday and post so you can see the problem

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

I found this picture to help solve the problem

Thumbnail by radman
Oceanside, CA(Zone 9b)

I have come to think brown-tipping related to overwatering. I recently went from watering my palms in pots once a week to twice a week. All seemed fine except my Phoenix rupicola and Bismarckia have started to get minor brown tips. I'm cutting them back to once a week, until I put them in the ground later this month. I overwatered an indoor kentia and it got brown tips as well.

Hayward, CA

I can't tell Radman if that palm is in the greenhouse or alongside it. And if it is in it,are the panels up also?
Otherwise, i dont think you are doing anything wrong really. It's just the shock of warm ,humid Hawaii to cold ,chilly and wet California. Or just chilly if the rain hasn't made it to SouCal. The only time palm fronds dont have a hard time from the change from being Florida,greenhouse or Hawaiin grown is if kept in the shade for the first few weeks. But sooner or later you have to move it where it will go-and then it's time to see what the new fronds will be like-shorter,longer,yellower,etc,

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

Brown tipping can come from 2 things. Over watering and lack of nutrients. The fronds on your teddy bear looks really droopy to me. Mine are very stiff and only droop slightly at the tips.

Vista, CA(Zone 10a)

Looks like you have a bunch of different opinions. Good luck. :)

I will say one thing. I think you will find it hard to over water a Dypsis leptocheilos in a pot. Phoenix rupicola and Bismarckia are two totally different palms. I have a Dypsis lastelliana about the size of your Leptocheilos in a pot, and it is watered every day and isn't missing a beat - no brown tips for example. It came from HI too (probably on the same boat). It is well protected from wind and sun though as I learned my mistake from before.

The comment deezpalms made about lack of nutrients brings up a good point. It could be salt burn from over watering with hard water. However it does not look like that to me.

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks for the information everyone...Weblnt....you bring up a good point on the hard water thing. I was wondering is there any type of simple filter system that can connect right to your hose bib to make the water alittle better for the palms?

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

I took a little of the advice and put the teddy in the shade house and when I tipped the pot with my dolly to move it a lot of water started to come out of the lower drain hole....so I drilled more drain holes in the very bottom of the container and that released alot of smelly water.....I them added a little dynamite palm fert......Did the same to the large Watermelon a few days ago and it looks a lot happier.
Curt

Vista, CA(Zone 10a)

Weird it was holding water. Was something blocking the wholes at the bottom? Glad you figured it out before it was too late.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I don't think I've recongnized OVERwatering as a common sign of brown tipping, though lousy water, or under watering are very common causes of that... with the lousy water being top of the list. Lack of nutrients can cause it, too, but not common here in So Cal if palm is in the ground and you are watering it heavily... you would have to have pretty unusually low-nutrient soil (a common situation in many Florida soils, though). Some palms, however, are prone to lack of certain minerals (such as Potassium) here in So Cal... Phoenix rupicola and Sabal causarium are common examples that seem to need extra... but they don't just brown-tip, the older fronds turn yellow.

Ralph Velez waters all his greenhouse palms with reverse osmosis water and it is incredible how well that eliminated not only the spotting of the leaves from salts, but the brown-tipping he always got. And Ralph is never one to under water a palm- his get tons of water. Pauleen Sullivan once said that you simply cannot overwater a palm... I think that is true for about 98% of palms as long as there is good drainage... but 2% (and almost all of those live here in So Cal) can be overwatered and rot from excess water. However, in my yard, where the soil is basically goo/clay, overwatering is a real threat

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.