Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Garganey

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Marlton, NJ

Nice!

How many species of ducks are there?

Tricky . . . depends on how one defines 'duck'. There are some species where it is difficult to decide whether to call it a 'duck' or a 'goose'. The whole duck family Anatidae (including ducks, geese, swans) is 147 species, worldwide. The subfamily Anatinae (includes most of the species called 'ducks', but not all) totals 113 species.

Resin

Marlton, NJ

Thanks Resin!

Marlton, NJ

Here's another first for me.
Mockingbirds came to the feeders and the one stayed for a long time eating suet.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

Heres the mate sitting atop the pole while the other eats.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

Red Bellied Woodpecker

Please excuse the gnome in the background, I can't get him out of there.

Very overcast day.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Resin: The Garganey looks like he's dressed for a solem formal occasion. I've definitely not seen one of them before. Very distinctive.
Pelle: Like your acrobatic red-belly. (That gnome is just doing his job! :)
Deb

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Good pics Pell, love that woodpecker ! The woodpeckers here stay high up in the trees, very hard to see. So is that one eating suet ?

Quoting:
Garganey .... I've definitely not seen one of them before

Not too surprising, it is an Old World species that only very rarely turns up in North America. It is a close relative of your Blue-winged Teal . . . which is equally rare on my side of the Pond. Though interestingly, there was one at exactly the same place as yesterday's Garganey, this time last year! (pic below)

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Marlton, NJ

Hi better, The RBW is eating a seed mix thats Nuts n Berry, I add extra peanut halves to the mix.. He likes to pull the peanuts out. I also have 2 peanut feeders that the wp's visit alot.
Here he is moments later with his prize.

Nice pic Resin!

Thumbnail by pelletory
Fellsmere, FL(Zone 9b)

A pretty cardinal.

Thumbnail by Marilyn_FL
Marlton, NJ

Very pretty Marilyn!!

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi everyone! Nice pictures! It seems like every time I miss a week or so there are tons of great pics to catch up on. :-) I took some today while I was outside gardening (FINALLY!) It felt so good to have some time again digging in the dirt after that little burst of winter hanging on. I set my camera up on the tripod and took breaks for pictures while planting.

I am so glad that our goldfinches have finally turned yellow again!

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

This picture was actually taken before the cold snap. All these nice green birch leaves are brown and crunchy now. But I think I'm seeing some new growth here and there.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

There are chickadees in the one of the bird houses in the front yard and I finally got some pictures of them coming out of the house. Here the female is looking at me and trying to decide if she should fly out with me watching.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh, what to do? what to do...

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Here she is slii-i-i-i-iding out. A split second before spreading her wings and scolding me.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Meanwhile, in the back yard there was a big ruckus going on with a pair of tree swallows and an old bluebird house. They noisily flew in and out sometimes with nesting material.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

I sure hope this means they are going to use the box. :-)

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

At the time I was certain but I haven't seen them much this afternoon.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

We will see what tomorrow morning brings. I wonder if they like meal worms?

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

one last one. (in case I don't see them again for another 5 years lol)

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Melbourne, FL

Early morning visitors were a flock of Cedar Waxwings.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Trio of Waxwings.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Single Waxwing.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Elizabethton, TN(Zone 7a)

Rose-breasted grosbeak

Thumbnail by KillerChihuahua
Melbourne, FL

Great shot KillerChi! Thanks for reposting here.......seems I probably saw a female Grosbeak yesterday.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Elizabethton, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm envious of the waxwings, those are great pics.

Melbourne, FL

Thanks, too bad the sun really wasn't really shining strong yet....the pics would have been better. They are such charming birds though. I was surprised they were still around...I figured they were long gone by now.

Marlton, NJ

Lily, Great pics; I love those Tree Swallows!

Nice pics GP! I hoping to see my CW's again soon!

KC, Thanks for posting your great pic over here also, the males are such handsome birds!!

Marlton, NJ

Spring is definitely bringing out different behavior in some of the birds. I posted earlier in this thread that the Mockingbirds were eating suet for the first time at my place, well today they were eating from the seed feeders!
Nice to see them come in closer for a change.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Melbourne, FL

I was surprised when I saw mine coming to my feeders also...but I think mine are mainly after the raisins I put out for them with the seed mix.

Marlton, NJ

I had grapes and raisins out for quite a while but the mocks never came for them, just the starlings.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Wow - what a lot of fabulous photos!!! I'm continually in awe at the varieties I get to see on this forum - and I am continually whining that I don't get as many colorful ones (especially blue and red)!

I got a kick out of this one of a goldfinch next to the thistle sock that has a goldfinch imprinted on it.

Thumbnail by Murmur

Quoting:
Tree Swallows ... I wonder if they like meal worms?

Nope . . . Tree Swallows are aerial feeders only, and mealworms can't fly :-)

Resin

Marlton, NJ

LOL Resin!
Am I wrong that's how they came about their names by swallowing bugs in flight?

Melbourne, FL

Surprised to see the Cedar Waxwings again this morning, actually heard them before I saw them. They gathered on my Athena Elm in the front yard.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.