Ice Plant seeds......... best way ?

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I have some Ice Plant seeds that I would like to start. Have any of you propogated this plant by seed ? If so, can you give me any tips to save me frustration & disappointment ? I"m
fairly new at this, so I don't know that much and it's easy to get discouraged with too many disappointments early on.

How to start Ice Plant seeds ? Thanks for your help. :))

Tuckahoe, NY

Hi,
If by ice plants you mean one of the mesembs like lampranthus, doreanthus, or delosperma, they are easy to grow from seed. The seed is very fine, one needs to crush the woody capsules to remove it if you harvest your own seed. (Some "ice plants" like carpobrotus have fleshy fruits with seeds inside). Sow on the surface of any good seed starting mix, water it in (mister might be best so the tiny seeds aren't splashed around), and place a baggie over the pot. Set it under flourescent lights to germinate--they require light to sprout. Germination for most kinds will occur in a week or two. When the seedlings have come up, remove the baggie to reduce risk of rotting (fungicide helps too) and when they are big enough plant them out.
Some of them, such as the annual doreanthus, may germinate and grow best at cool temperatures (not freezing).
All of them really like lots of sunshine, in fact the flowers need sun to open.
Ernie

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Thanks, they just came up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.