So....What's your favorite cut flower??

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, how can you bear to cut them off? But you probably have a lot of those down in Florida...all we can get here is a few houseplants in the orchids and bromeliads.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2007 2:28 PM

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Brom's will grow along most of the Gulf Coast and there are some that will even grow up into coastal Virginia. Some of them are hardy down to 15*.

I have seen them used in Ikebana. I am not a flowers arranger, I just cut them an hand them over to someone who knows what they are doing. I do enjoy the results.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

We do have a few exotics that have flowers that will last for a couple weeks in a vase, especially orchids. I grow the small flowering kinds, they are easier than those big hybrids you see at the florist.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I am glad I found this thread because it never occured to me to get a tiny vase, like a salt shaker for my desk. I always seem to knock around the bud vase that I have been using.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Since I work outside in gardens every day, I don't have houseplants. I do like keep a couple of bright colored flowers on my desk. I don't enjoy doing paperwork and a couple bright colored flowers reminds me why I do what I do.

Gloxinia>

What glorious flowers! Thanks for sharing!

This message was edited Jun 15, 2007 5:52 PM

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, very bright, lovely. What are they?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Lenjo, see them here> http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/53149/index.html

Angelonia don't last long in the vase, too bad>

This message was edited Jun 15, 2007 8:21 PM

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Many years ago when I was a student at the City College of San Francisco, in the Ornamental Horticulture program, I took a class on flower arranging. Thought I might need a fall back career in case gardening didn't work out. I wasn't very good, but, what I did learn was that the rules of arranging flowers are the same rules you use for making display flower beds. It has worked very well for me over the decades since.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Potted plants are long lasting uncut flower arrangements.

Notice how often I use Angelonia? It is my #1 bedding plant for summer in the heat and humidity that we have in FL.

I'd say your training has definitely served you very well, Dale! What beautiful gardens!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

So dale those are hardy for you there in FL, so many neat tropicals you Floridians and Californians can do. Little bit of zone envy here. LOL

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

You may like the plants, but, you would dislike the weather. Hot Humid Bugs. And beautiful plants.

One of my favorite cut flowers is Plumeria, you can cut a branch, needs no water in the vase and lasts for days with fragrance. And then you can plant it. What more could you ask of a cut flower?

I remember those from when I was stationed in Hawaii for four years--wonderful fragrance!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I bought sticks once at a garden show in Portland and I think I put it in water and waited and waited for it to root. I just did what they told me but never did I see roots. I think I just got too impatient.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

OMG Dale, your gardens are beautiful. Your plumeria is gorgeous. I just bought a small little cutting for $20. My sister has a few, but they're so bare now, because her guests always leave with a cutting. It's rude of people to ask when there's hardly anything left!!! Anyway Dale, I'm so jealous. Your angelonia looks beautiful. There's lots here, so I have to go buy some!!! Thanks for sharing.

london England, United Kingdom

I think my favourite cut flower is sweet peas they smell so lovely!

Thumbnail by terriculture

A little bunch I gave to my neighbour yesterday.

Thumbnail by terriculture
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

You're right! Sweet peas are magnificent. I tried to grow some fancy ones (paid a lot of money for seeds) I started them way too early, and I gave some of the plants away.

Next spring I will plant spencer type and keep all the plants and plant them much closer.

Fort Edward, NY(Zone 5a)

ooooh-terriculture--those sure are beautiful!!...I am sure your neighbor felt very special.
~Dawn

Thankyou Dawn, I think she appreciated them because she can see them from window everyday. Sadly she has not been very well lately and is stuck indoors recovering from an operation. When I gave them to her she sniffed them
for about 10 minutes!!!! she hasn't lost her sense of smell at 86.

Are you a flower arranger? have you seen the flower show and will you tell me something about 'you' with flowers, please?!!!!!

dale a gardener,

My favourite flower is plumeria too. We call it Frangipani and they are just so special. I can never manage to get
hold of them over here,even at Covent garden flower market,where you can usually get most things,I haven't seen
them in any flower shops! You are so lucky, enjoy!

Perth,, ON(Zone 5a)

my favourite flowers are what ever is blooming now!

today's vases contain statice latifolia, (tiny lavender blooms) couple of cream coloured oriental lillies, purple coneflowers, liatris (gay feather and double yellow rudebeckia.....

cream, bright yellow and purple.....

I agree! your vase sounds lovely, I love coneflowers too, infact it's far too difficult to chose a fav
there are so many.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.