grecian windflower bulbs - throw away?

Landenberg, PA(Zone 6b)

I have a load of anemone blanda bulbs that I didn't plant in the fall. The little black bulbs are firm and quite hard. They were kept in the garage over winter. What would happen if I planted them now? Would they flower next spring? Are they dead and should I just throw them away?

Thanks for any info!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'd soak them for a few hours, then plant them and see what happens... I think you can plant anemone blanda either in fall or in spring, and as long as they haven't gone soft I'm guessing they're still viable.

Landenberg, PA(Zone 6b)

Fantastic. Thanks for your response critterologist! I'll definitely do that!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Not that the ones I've planted last fall have shown their little faces yet... They were "meant" to bloom with the new Rip van Winkle mini daffs that are budding up now, but you know how those "plans" work out with spring bulbs! If the A. blanda have survived, maybe they'll bloom together next year... it often takes newly planted bulbs a season or two to settle down to their expected "schedule."

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hey -- any sign of your anemones? Some of mine came up after all... just popped up suddenly, just in time to bloom with my little 'Rip van Winkle' daffs! Here's a photo.... The oriental hyacinths are 'Woodstock' (also new, love them!), and I think the pale blue flowers are chinodoxa.

Thumbnail by critterologist
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Love the Rip VW daffodils... not way tall like so many daffs. The Anemones are the little medium-blue jobs in your picture?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yes... sorry they don't show up better! I'll try to get a closer shot of them when the sun is shining... they seem to close up a bit on cloudy days.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

The Rip Van Winkles are really cute -- I didn't realize they are so small (which I love). Do they perennialize well?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

They're supposed to be good perennializers... I'll let you know next year, LOL. I hope they do well that way, as I planted a bunch for my mom also... we fell for them at last year's Philly flower show, which is also where I discovered how taken I am with the color of the 'Woodstock' oriental hyacinths!

I love their wild little mop heads.... but, wouldn't you know it, one of my neighbors didn't take a close look, and (fearing for his spotless lawn) he asked why I was growing dandelions in that bed!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Ouch!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I made him take a closer look.... LOL

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I should try something like this:
"Oh no, Mrs. McFontanaramakofskyovitzerdonton-Smith, I purchased these bulbs at great expense from the Royal Tongan Alpine Plant Horticultural Society Annual Spring Sale! Aren't they just lovely?"

Thumbnail by claypa
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

You're a riot!

Actually, I do have a soft spot for dandelions... although I try to keep them from taking over my little corner of the world entirely, they are such cheerful blooms! If they were rare, or hard to grow, imagine how they'd be in demand!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

a crowd- a host of golden , uh, DANDELIONS? : ^ ) just as bright as some o those mass planting pics in catalogs~~
Minnow is a nice, not too tall daff.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Landenberg, PA(Zone 6b)

Well I stuck them all in the ground - all 350 of them. Just before flying off on a trip (talk about the 11th hour) No sign of anything - but I expect if anything happens it will be next spring?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

No, I think they'll soak up this spring's rain and warmth and come popping up for you. ;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.