'Bonanza' Genetic Dwarf Peach

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Does anyone have experience growing this? Because it is genetic does that mean it is not grafted? Looks healthy and is blooming but it is protected because of the crazy weather we are having lately. It was originally grown here: http://virginiaberryfarm.com/Fruit_berry_plants/fruit_trees.htm

-Kim

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

No experience with it, but it is a natural dwarf, not a regular tree grafted on dwarfing rootstock. I t may still be grafted,sometimes grafts are put on rootstocks with superior disease resistance and vigor, and to insure that that the plant is true to type.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks Dill! I may just call them and ask. I thought it might be grafted because the nursery said it would not ever get any taller - just fuller, which isn't a problem since I want to keep it on my deck.

-Kim

Baltimore, MD

Kim, those genetic dwarfs are all grafted, they can't grow on their own roots because they won't have a well-functioning root system on their own.

What makes those guys dwarfs is the internode distance (distance between sets of leaves) is about 1/5 of the normal distance due to some genetic difference, so all the leaves come out on top of each other. They grow bigger every year like any other tree, just at 1/5 the rate due to this. They are very good as small deck trees. They also flower a ton due to the short internodes. You need to thin out very heavily. The taste of the peaches on the ones I had was a bit watery but still better than more store-bought peaches.

Scott

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Cool info on the genetic background, Thanks Scott. I really think I will like my little tree. It is not outside today that is for sure, with all this wind!

-Kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.