Silk Floss Tree seeds

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I have not been able to find any, Thompson & Morgan sold them, but, no longer.

I would prefer a starter plant. I am not that good with seeds.

I found a nursery in Oregon, USA that sells the plant and they turned out to be jerks. They told me that they would only ship the plant by FedEx, that it would take 10 days to get to FL, and that if it died I would not be able to get a replacement.

Some of my orchids>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

The white one is nice, what is it?

I did find a plant at about 34 dollars and 30 dollars, thought i could probably fly over and bring one of mine cheaper!

I got mine from T&M its a shame you didn't ask me a few months ago, when i had the seed. I'm really hoping that i get plants that make it to flowering size now though and set seed!. Not a clue how to get to that stage though. i'm at the true leaf stage now thats all!

Speak soon

Mike

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Orchid is Cattleya hybrid, I am useless when it comes to plant tags and names. I take care of the orchids for my clients. Every few years they need to be divided. I chop up the plants, return the best parts to their containers & the rest goes home with me. I grow them on and then give them away, once in awhile I keep one.

If I kept every plant that goes through my hands in a year I would have to plant in the neighbors yard (for several houses in all directions). I could stock a small nursery with my leftovers. I have people stop by sometimes and ask if I sell plants. Many folks in the neighborhood stop by for advice. I have a sign on a stick that I put in the ground by the curb that says "FREE" and then surround it with the orphans. People from the area cruise by on Thursday to see what is waiting for a new home. This week there will be 3 #3cans of red Hibiscus, a part tray of 4" coleus India Frills, 3 full trays of Impatiens and assorted odds and ends. The wholesale nurseries where I buy plants are miles away, out of town. I have to buy a few extra in case some get trashed or for other reasons. It is better to buy 6 extra 4" coleus (@ 60 cents) than to drive 25 miles thru city traffic to get more. On one of my jobs (the yard is 180' by 180') I took out several banana clumps. The total plants, when divided up, was about 25. I put the clumps out on the curb and they were gone before I had finished my breakfast.

About the seed potential of Acnistus australis. If you have humming birds they will do all the work for you. I check Plant Piles every now and again to see if someone has a plant they want to part with. No luck so far. I am not very good with seed.

Here is my front drive, from this winter, with the plants I had bought. I try and get all my plants once a week. Saves time and gasoline (& every one gets the trip charge)>

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Try chilternseeds.co.uk

http://www.edirectory.co.uk/chilternseeds/pages/moreinfo.asp?pe=FBFEDCEQ_+&cid=211

I have a tall plant of the supposedly white one in the greenhouse, it appeared to die back over winter but is now shooting from all the stem to the top. I got it in a swap with someone, a blue too but it was fragile and loosened in the compost so died.

Dale humingbirds? Do you know where i'm from? lol

Cheers Janet, just sent him a couple of packets (he's bound to get one plant from 2 packs.)
I checked chilterns last night but couldn't find them.... odd really.. i was probably spelling them wrong.

Cheers

Mike

I noticed today mine has flower buds!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Mike, Bee's then? I thought you had hummers on that side of the pond. Mainland Europe have them?

Janet, seems everything you have grows so well (success comes with good plant choices). Can you post more photos of your lovely garden or do I need to stop by and shoot the place up myself?

today>

No hummers anywhere in Europe as far as I know! Only escapees

http://www.rubythroat.org/OtherSpeciesMain.html

Dale, we need rain, and it's a busy time! And I need to sort out my pics! You are welcome to stop by, plant shoots allowed only!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Without a person in the photo how will we be able to have a sense of scale?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I am not afraid to put my self portrait on the web>

Now that's just how I imagined you look Dale!

You had better post a better pic or from now your name is Pumpkin Head.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

OK, that I can do, here I am having lunch>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

And of course, the family portrait>

Wacky!

Now here I am, pan faced........

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Heheh There was me fast asleep. And you guys where having fun.

Does the Pan faced travel across the pond? Dale has anyone told your family they smell like onions?

Worryingly why do you have pics like that to hand?

Thumbnail by mike_freck
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Mike, my reasons are the same for everything, because I can.

Hehe Yeah i can go with that!

Hey rain ....... at last.... rain!

Thumbnail by mike_freck
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I had to go over to Orlando (80 miles east) today to get some plant materials. The area is known for it's theme parks. At one of the Disney Parks (Epcot) they have a big early summer flower. Here are a couple of things I saw.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

This message was edited May 7, 2007 8:56 PM

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I took 182 photos in my travels today and I need to get busy filing the ones I am going to keep. So you will understand if I am feeling a little>

It looks like you went into the theme parks to get all those! Don't those bright colours go well in a hot climate...love the floating baskets backed by all that colour dangling down to the water.

Amazing handiworks, I guess that's Pluto, so well done. I wonder what happens when it starts to look ragged, someone must have to keep that well clipped.

Did it make you feel like a kid again Dale? Oh, you always feel like a kid, sorry!

Sounds like an excuse to go to a theme park to me!

Don't blame you though. better than doing a days work.

Mike

Thumbnail by mike_freck
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Wallaby,

That is Goofy, Pluto always goes on four legs. Goofy is Mickey Mouse's best friend. They were my heroes until I found Led Zepplin.

Mike, Do you have any seeds for that palm? At first I thought is was an Arcea with Lilliputians. I have no sense of scale.

More from Disney's Epcot>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

More from Disney's Epcot>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Theme parks are not subtle with color>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

They do have some interesting combinations

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I did like all the hanging baskets, the designer had a nice touch.

I don't have seeds but if you pay for my trip i'll get some for you. Its in Singapore botanic gardens! heheh

Mike

Thumbnail by mike_freck
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I will just send myself, thank you very much.

I think the flight from your place is quicker. That palm was huge though. Never seen one that big before.

Its not the best kept place, but had some real good stuff there.

Mike

Thumbnail by mike_freck
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I wish I had time to travel. And the resouces.

I have been spending all of my excess cash (now there is an oxymoron) on dental work, $15,000 since the lst of the year. Next I am getting new lenses, for my failing eyesight, they are $5,000 each. No European vacation any time soon. I wish we had socialized medicine here.

But, check out my new, charming smile>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

To leave the conversation on a more pleasant note>

Hmmm The hospitals here are not what you would expect though. You would have paid for dental work here too. I can't get a Free dentist because there aren't any available! Eye care i'm not sure but i guess if you actually want to see again i would pay for that too.
I pay £50 a month for the family to go private.

Don't get me wrong what we have is good for emergencies and for the less well off to get treatment. But thats all.

Mike

Thumbnail by mike_freck
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

That is quite the gang of orchids. What does a Phal. sell for at the shop? I pay under 4 pounds (I haven't found the symbols for other currency) for wholesale.

Wholesale there about £6ea for a box of 12 but the price varies alot due to dutch clock auction prices. Also depends on what grade and the colour mixes. We tend to buy higher grades i.e more flower stalks/flowers and the darker pink with patterns. Other shops may pay less depending on their market.
Retail price can be anywhere from £10 to £19.99 but usually about 12/14.99.
Heres another orchid.

Mike

Thumbnail by mike_freck
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

That seems like fair price considering how far North you are and all the shipping involved. The heating costs of a greenhouse in Holland during winter must add to the cost of doing business.

I just ordered 2 cases of Epidendrum hybrid orchids this afternoon, are you familiar with them? We use them as a landscape plant, they are terrestrial. I have seen them mounted on wood too. The species grow in central and south America on cliffs and exposed rocks. Here are some of the colors I am getting http://www.matsuinursery.net/epidendrum.html

These are in a 4" pot, in bloom. The nice thing about this type is that it produces kiki (plantlets) on the stem just below the flower. Next time I ship something off to you I will include a couple small starters.

Here is one of the two colors I have now>

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.