Pansies, then impatients?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I can't believe it! I have impatient plants already germinating! This is way cool! Of course, my office is unbelievable warm (not cool at all lol). but I had no idea they would be so easy to germinate.

so this weekend I will plant the pansies.

currently, I have about 40 wallflower seedlings in the breakfast room - maybe this fall when I rip out the impatients, I will plant the wallflowers with bulbs for the spring display.

When the wallflowers are finished, I can give them away to neighbours (they are supposed to be perennials) and plant impatients again. What do you think of that plan?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Seandor, Impatient seeds always germinate the quickest! ;^)
Your impatiens will be beautiful still come fall. You may not want to rip them out until frost gets them.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Dave! You really had me going for a few seconds!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

True - but the wallflowers are supposed to be planted out late in the fall to bloom in place early in the spring with the bulbs. So after the first hard frost knocks out the impatiens (I spelled this incorrectly again until I remembered, pirl) then I will move the wallflowers into place :-)

I LOVE wallflowers. When I was a little girl, around 4 years old, an elderly English lady, Mrs. Noble, lived next door to us. She had the most fabulous English cottage garden and the interior of her craftsmen style home was resplendent with Victorian decor, complete with heavy burgandy drapes which divided one part of the parlour from the rest of the home. She always smelled of lavender - and always called me "Ducky"

The memory of the scent of wallflowers is one of my fondest.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Memories and gardening go together so well. So many of our plants are here because of the influences of my former neighbor, Mrs. Loeffler.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.