Spring Projects

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

I haven't been posting much as I've been busy spending my early mornings before work painting and working on ideas for a makeover for our front entry. It all started when I saw one of those shows on HGTV (Curb Appeal?) where there was a house with similar color as ours and they painted the front door a plum/burgundy color to "spice" up the front entry - decided I needed to "spice" up our front entry and the process began! For at least three years now I've wanted a pergola over our front entry because it gets so darned hot - southern exposure. Well, the pergola has to wait - not in the budget for this year - but look at the trellis I found at Lowe's so at least I can get something growing UP!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

This gives you an idea of what I had envisioned - picture on the left is "before" - chairs on the left had to go - we couldn't sit out there anyway, it was too hot! The water feature with vase on the right gets moved to the left of the door (hopefully to finally get it working this year - the vase is supposed to work as a 'disappearing' fountain where the water basically just flows over the edges). So I used Photoshop and "painted" some new containers in colors to coordinate with the new door - I've been working on painting these plastic containers for the past month! Then I "painted" the door burgundy and the side panels the same color as the house - thought I needed 'something' on either side of the door until the pergola is a reality and drew in a pair of green trellises. Then I found those in the first picture at Lowes - whew - that saved us some time! Haven't decided whether to leave them the color they are or paint them green to go with the original plan. I have to wait until I get the door painted to make a final decision :)

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

This is a picture of some of the containers that I painted that are ready and waiting for planting!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

I've had so much fun painting I couldn't stop! Here's another idea I got from HGTV - a new birdbath :) Used three clay pots, primed them and painted with stone textured paint, painted an old terra cotta color saucer with glossy paint (easier to clean). It's going to go in my new garden (hopefully to be planted this spring).

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

I even painted my concrete frog!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

We had this metal plant stand that had "aged" and was a real mess. So I bought some green textured paint and spray painted it! The container inside is another plastic pot we've had kicking around for 5+ years and I never used it because it was an ugly color. I never realized that it fits perfectly in the top of this stand so used the remainder of the stone textured paint (birdbath) and painted it - like new!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

We've needed a new mailbox for years (the front door had fallen off) so I painted a spare one we had. My first attempt with my "One Stroke" paints and it's definitely not as easy as it looks :( These were supposed to be Dogwood blooms - not exactly like I had envisioned it but it will do!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

I've got a couple more painting projects in the works and as soon as I'm finished, I'll post them. One of them is a gazing ball stand. I never liked gazing balls when I was younger, but have come around in my "older" years and bought one recently. Then the quest was on to find a reasonably priced base for it. I found plenty that had the "look" I wanted but the price wasn't right, anywhere from $75 and up!! I found one last week that's 'acceptable' at Big Lots for $12.99 :) I'm in the process of painting it now and trying to make it look "old" - I'll keep you posted of my progress!

Anyone else have spring "projects"?

Debbie

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

rcn- you are way ahead of me in the decorating skills dept. It all looks very nice! I can tell they're dogwood!
somewhere I have some notes on a couple other things you can do to plastic pots, will try to find. Like how to make look like copper. Well, it's probably on the 'net somewhere. I used that for-plastic spray paint last year, it worked great.
anyone else looking for a gazing ball- my mom just got a ball and stand at Lowe's must have been reasonable cuz she's really cheap : ^ )

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Looking good!

- Brent

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

You're my hero!

I have neat ideas all the time, but I nver get around to it. And look at all you're done!

Wonderful! Can't wait to see what you've done to the gazing ball!

Elf

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Great project. I like the architectural look of those trellis so much, I'm not sure I would plant anything on them. Wow what a big difference in the way they make your entry look. I see a lot of your stones every where, and they really look nice. I especially like the look of the wire basket with the stone paint pot. Yes, I've done that one stroke and my project didn't turn out quite the way it looked in the picture, but acceptable. Yours may not be what you wanted either but it looks nice.
Your frog is cute, but he needs a little more, maybe a little dry brushing or some antique to give him a little more depth. I had a ceramic frog that I painted with a stone paint and he had been sitting around so long that moss was growing on him. Really showing his age, then Ric hit him with the mower.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

That trellis is stunning. It is a shame to hide it behind foliage. Maybe you could find something that's fairly sparse so the trellis will still show.

Crozet, VA

Thank you for sharing your project(s) with us Debbie. I love your entry also. I noticed that you have the same outdoor light that I have at all three of my entrances. My husband is the one who has the largest project going on. He will be laying a soapstone walkway in our front bed. He also informed me the other day that he plans to pretty much cover our whole front yard with mulch this year. The yard is very steep and my balance is not good enough to make it safe for me to walk there. There will be some small islands of plants here and there I hope.

He began the mulching last week around the dozens and dozens of day lilies that he planted at the bottom of our driveway. We have had a few positive comments from the neighbors since he began. They are probably tired of looking at the construction (destruction) zone that our yard has been for a couple of years.

I will try to take before pictures to give an idea of what we look at pulling in to the drive way. It ain't pretty. Thank goodness that the eye is pulled up to a gorgeous deck that runs the length of the house.

The main project that I want to get done soon is organizing and straigtening my outside shed. There has only been one day that I have been able to spend any time doing it so far. The weather and my schedule just hasn't cooperated. During that day I was able to get together one car load of donation items. I am sure that there will be at least one pick up truck load going to the landfill too.

I am sure that I will feel better when that task is completed. Anyway, thanks again for sharing your beautiful entry idea Debbie. Have a good Sunday everyone.

Ruby

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Ruby, that path sounds gorgeous. Soapstone is such a pretty stone. You'll have to send some pictures when he gets it done.

How are you doing these days? I hope you're feeling better.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for everyone's comments :) We've been on the road and got back yesterday to miserable weather - darn, there was so much I wanted to do outside :( Just when I think I'll get an opportunity to work in the gardens, it's either too cold or too wet!

sallyg, would love to have that information about making pots look like copper if you find it - I've got a couple of pots left that need something "different" so they'll stand out in the 'crowd'.

Lastelf, my head is ALWAYS filled with ideas but I never seem to actually get them done. This year's different - although there are plenty more that will have to wait for another year - a new railing around the pond, steps from the gazebo, etc, etc, etc but those are the ideas I need help with - the painting projects were something I could do myself! :))

Holly, I'll have to experiment with the frog - I've been trying to paint a concrete Hosta leaf I made last fall without much success, maybe I should try something easier - darn, wish I had thought to use the textured green paint for the frog, would have been more realistic.

My gazing ball base is creating a problem for me, just can't get the "aged" look I was going for. I might just have to accept it for this year and try something different next year.

hart, I'm going to plant Sweet Autumn Clematis on the trellis. It will probably cover the whole thing, but for this year that's what available and ready for planting so I'm going to go for it. It will be planted in pots so I can move it if I don't like it next year and try something different. Thought about planting Passion Flower Vine, but I wanted the delicate flowers of the Clematis versus the bold flowers of the Passion vine. The trellises still have to be hung properly - they're just 'hanging' on the lights right now - and then I can get the Clematis planted soon.

Ruby, good to hear from you! The weather hasn't been good for much of anything recently - certainly not playing in the dirt, OR painting! Glad to hear that at least John is able to make some progress with mulching. And yes, I agree with hart, please share pictures of the walkway when he gets it done!

Hopefully I'll get some of the containers filled with potting soil this week and will be able to start planting a few combinations. I'll share pictures of my progress as soon as I'm able to accomplish something :)

Debbie

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Debbie, I was at Lowes yesterday and saw the trellises like yours. So pretty. They had some that were similar that had metal branches at the top too.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Aged Copper look for plastic pot-
(I take very sketchy notes, unfortunately)
Use plastic primer. Use copper glaze. Age with a mix of equal parts ammonia and epsom salts.

Aged Concrete look
Coffee grounds and cement mixture, aged with drain opener

Moss-
Burlap wrapped on pots with moss to grow on it.(even I don't know what I meant now)

These were all on a show, I think it was a morning mixed topic type TV show, HGTV Ithink, that I haven't seen for a few years, had this blond hostess with dark eyebrows.......Marlene?

From Rebecca Kohls- paint clay terra cotta with a mixture of half acrylic paint and half acrylic varnish- did try this and liked it, a slight sheen on the surface.

Sorry for the pitiful info, : ^ }

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

rcn: You're so creative and have wonderful inspirational ideas. I especially like your "concrete" birdbath. I also saw that episode on HGTV, but never have gotten around to making it. Now you've re-kindled that spark and I'm itching to try it too. Your little frog will look adoreable in your bath as the birds perch on it to drink water.

I also like your mailbox featuring "One Stroke" painting. You might want to add a few branches to your Dogwood blooms to make it even more realistic looking. I think it came out very nicely. I've tried "One Stroke", but mine never looked as good as Donna Dewberry's, the person who created "One Stroke" painting. So, I haven't pursued it any further, but I still have lots of the paints left over. Did you spray a shellac on your mailbox to protect it?

Please choose another Clematis rather than Sweet Autumn. I've mentioned several times on the Clematis Forum that it is VERY invasive, grows 20-30 ft tall, therefore not meant to be grown in containers, and it will cover your house, trees, and anything in its path. There are so many beautiful and colorful Clematis that don't reseed all over your yard and grow beautifully in containers. Sweet Autumn Clematis is like the vine from "The Little Shop of Horrors"......BEWARE!!!!!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

You can always age or give a little more depth to anything painted that has any kind of texture or detail to the surface by brushing on a little glaze or darker acrylic paint that's thinned quite a bit. After painting on the glaze or thinned paint, wipe it off with a rag before it dries.

If you want to give it a grainy texture, go back with a dry brush, dip just the tip of the brush in the glaze or paint, pounce it on paper towels until almost dry and then brush in the direction you want the grain. Or brush on a thin coat and then brush away part of it by brushing over with a dry brush. I think the first method is easier.

A really easy option for mailboxes is decals or the rub on Tatuage type decals. They look very pretty. I did that with sunflowers on my mailbox then covered with several coats of poly. Most craft stores or even the crafts section at Walmart have plenty of decals to choose from. They're much nicer than the old decals like our mothers used and look exactly like painted details.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

LOL Shirley, I'll probably only use the Clematis paniculata this year - only because it's what I have available. Next year I'll try to plan early enough to make another selection - looking for a white - any suggestions? By the way the Clematis and Roses I picked up last November from the Merry Gro sale are growing gangbusters! Wish I could say that I had the same luck with my Sir Cedric Morris climber from Ashdown :( It suffered from the minute I received it and is slowly going downhill. I requested a replacement but their "mother" plant died as well so it will be up to two years before they can replace Sir Cedric :( Chose another small white flowering Rose (can't remember it's name right now) but it should be arriving any day now. I really wanted Sir Cedric for his foliage :(

hart, I've never tried the glaze before - since I'm running out of time this year and probably already have way too many pots LOL, I'll have to try your method next year when I'm feeling creative :)

We're off to Alexandria today so I'll be checking back with everyone next week - sounds like good weather this weekend - envious that some of you will be in the garden. Maybe I'll get my chance to fill my pots next week - Have a good weekend!

Debbie

Debbie: An excellent white cultivar is "Huldine". People love it because it's not only a beautiful Clematis, but on its reverse side it has very attractive mauve colored "veins".

Glad to hear that all your Merry Gro Clematis are going gangbusters. Mine are perking up from their Winter's nap too.

I would write to Ashdown Nurseries and tell them the problems you're having with their Rose, "Sir Cedric Morris". Maybe they will offer to replace it or give you other suggestions. Please let us know what happens.

Have fun in Alexandria!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Shirley, I took your advice (and my husband's :) and picked up a couple of white Clematis 'Miss Bateman' at Lowe's the other day to replace the Sweet Autumn. Best part is because they will be planted in containers, I can always change what I grow up the trellis :)

I also received confirmation finally from Ashdown Roses that they are sending my replacement for Sir Cedric Morris. I chose 'Darlow's Enigma' - any experience with this one? Even though it doesn't have the darker foliage, it appears to have similar small white flowers and, if I remember correctly, is fragrant? Now I just need to get my arbor back in the ground so I can get these planted!

Debbie

"Miss Bateman" is a classic climber. http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=293 Very happy to hear that you're replacing SAC.

I haven't personally grown "Darlow's Enigma" in my garden, but I know a lot of other gardeners that have and they have been very pleased with this Rose. Not only is it very fragrant, but it does well in the shade and it is very disease resistant. Thoses are definitely very positive points! http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=1455

Crozet, VA

Speaking of clematis.....I checked on mine yesterday and they are doing very well. They are plants that take a while to get going, but when they decide to thrive, they really thrive. I was surprised to find that they are getting blooms already.

I haven't really spent much time in garden yet this season. The few times that I have been outside, I have been very pleased with my perennials. I need to do a bit of research on Hibiscus. I had one last year and was hoping that it was a hardy one vs. a tropical one. I haven't seen any evidence of it coming back this year. Is it too early? Any suggestions on purchasing a few hardy ones, such as where to buy and what type? Each time that it would bloom last year, I was thrilled. Such big blooms were so much fun.

I hope that everyone will have a great and productive weekend. Take care.

Ruby

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Ruby, use this for a start http://davesgarden.com/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=Hibiscus&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search There are lots of wonderful Hibiscus out there that would be hardy for you. 'Kopper King' (pretty flowers and great foliage!), 'Lord Baltimore' (HUGE deep red flowers) and H. coccineus (Swamp Mallow - neat foliage and deep red flowers - does great in regular soil but will also grow in wet areas) are some of my favorites for larger flowers. Keep in mind if you find any of the tropical types which are always available at any Lowes, Walmart or Home Depot in the spring they can easily be grown outside during the summer and winter over inside. My mother-in-law has kept a few of these alive for several years with this method - sometimes they look a little pathetic by January but they quickly bounce back once they're moved outside for the summer. If you're interested and remind me toward the end of the summer, I could save you some seeds from the Hibiscus I've listed above - we also have a beautiful deep pink one that has reseeded everywhere in this one spot at the nursery - no idea which one it is - just that it's very pretty :)

Shirley, I potted up 'Miss Bateman' the other day - broke the top of the second plant :( Oh well, will just set it back a little and I'm sure it will quickly catch up with its sister! I'm looking forward to 'Darlow's Enigma' - it sounded just like what I was looking for - fragrant, disease resistant and tolerates the shade - what more could you ask for? Okay, so it doesn't have the great foliage of 'Sir Cedric Morris' that I wanted, but I think I'll be satisfied with all the other positive traits :)

Crozet, VA

Thank you so much Debbie. I would love to have some seed. I just made a note that I will see each time that I open my desk drawer. I will contact you towards the end of summer. As they say, a person learns something new everyday. When I clicked on the link you posted it showed a Rose of Sharon as its first flower. I didn't realize that Rose of Sharon is considered a hibiscus. Very interesting.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to this post. I appreciate all of your help. Have a great weekend.

Ruby

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Debbie,
I think you'll love Darlow's Enigma. Except for Japanese Beetle attraction, it has no faults that I've been able to find. One thing I especially like about it is the foliage, which is quite soft and delicate for a rose. I know those aren't usually the first qualities you look for in a rose, but it was an unexpected surprise to me.
Michele

Debbie: Clematis vines do break easily, but it's nothing to worry about. The break simply encourages them to grow multiple stems. Hope 'Miss Bateman' grows beautifully for you!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Bumping this for an update :) I hadn't been able to bring up any of my containers to place by the front door until yesterday. First, there was the problem that we were gone every weekend and I didn't have anyone I'd trust to water them. Second, there was threat of frost until two weeks ago. Happy to report that I got the area cleaned up yesterday morning and brought up half a dozen of the containers to "play" with :) I have several more to pot up and when I get the area completed I'll be posting new pictures! Hopefully Rick will have time to hook up the fountain soon and then the "project" will be complete :)

Shirley, if you're still "watching" this, wanted to let you know how disappointed I am. The clematis I bought last fall from Merry Gro for my new arbor has bloomed and is NOT 'Patricia Ann Fretwell' !!!! It's just an ordinary purple, possibly jackmanii or something similar :((( I think the arbor is cursed - first Sir Cedric Morris dies, now this!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.