Surprise

Florence, SC(Zone 8a)

With all of the frosts and freezes, I put the lids back on my containers and didn't take them off until yesterday. I lost all of my zinnias, but they shouldn't be a problem to resow (another excuse to buy more seed, lol).

In one of my boxes, happy little faces greeted me! Centaurea (possibly montana?). I plan on a marathon planting out session this weekend.

Thumbnail by Pameliap
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Wow! Those don't look like seedlings anymore. What a beautiful sight. Have fun planting.

Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

Your set up looks great! Your plants look great! Hope the weather cooperates with you and you can get them planted out soon. What kind of box is that? What kind of lid did it have? I have several milk jugs outside and only a few have germinated. I like the idea of using the cups.
ShirleyC in Maryland

Florence, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks! It's a Sterilite box from Lowes. I have 6 of them. They have clear lids that my hubby drilled hole in (also holes in the bottom. There's more pics on this thread -

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/701931/

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Pam, those sure do look like happy little plants. have fun!

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow Pam I agree with daltri. Your seedlings look more like what's being sold in the stores! Congrats on your great success.

Hey I've been meaning to DMail you to tell you that I found 6 mystery plants that look exactly like impatiens growing in my containers of creeping thyme. I have NO idea how they would have gotten in there, but sure as the world they look just like my pretty little impatiens plants!

Florence, SC(Zone 8a)

Ok, I'm officially tired, lol. Planted out 30 containers today so far. Still have about 6 that will go in that bed and that one will be done (well, except for sprinkling nasturtium seeds around the edges which is what I'm doing to all the beds). It would be a lot easier and quicker, but I'm working with a back that's still not cooperating, so I get down, plant a few till my muscles complain, get up and rock in the chair on the porch for a few, then off to plant again, lol.

Lala_Jane - I had a very different little guy coming up in a bottle of verbascum and was thinking "what the...." when I realized that it looked familiar. Sure enough, when I checked my numbers, the bottle I had sowed before the verbascum was yarrow, and one of the tiny seeds had probably clung to my hand. He's happy there so there he stays till I plant out the verbascum, lol.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Fantastic sprouts, Pam! Take it easy with your back and planting out your containers. Slow and easy is the best way. I look forward to seeing your pictures when they are all in bloom!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Pamela - those are the best looking wintersown sprouts! Congrats. I love the set up you're using.

Joanne

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

Pam:
I absolutely love your plastic bins for wintersowing. I saved the link to reference later. I will be preparing mine this summer for use next year. I looks very neat and your plants look wonderful. How many bins did you use for your wintersowing? Great idea!
RatherB

Florence, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks! I had 6 bins, in addition to about 20 milk jugs and 30 2-liter bottles. I'm going to change a few things. To keep the plants from getting as leggy, I'll fill the cups to within an inch of the top. I won't sow the seeds as thick as this year so the plants have more room to develop. And finally (if I can control myself - no guarantee here, lol), I'll limit what I sow so that I have time to plant it all out before it gets too hot.

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

I did not even get as ambitious as you and I am looking for spots to put mine in and also I am busy transplanting the tiny ones into 3 inch pots. I will try to be more selective next year. But I plan on doing them all in the bins. It looks so neat and it gives their roots more room in the cups to grow. I love your idea! They are like cold frames or mini greenhouses.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.