Arboricola Propagation

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Has anyone had any luck with propagating cuttings from this plant? If so, do you start in soil or root in water?? Mine are getting tall and I want to cut them back so they get bushier but I don't want to waste what I cut off. I tried rooting cuttings in soil last year and I *think* I have two that rooted... at least they are still alive in the pots, but they just don't seem to be growing.

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

The first time I rooted this plant, I did it in a vase filled with Perlite. I now have several of them rooting in an aluminum pan in sand (5 rooted fine and 2 didn't make it. I did not notice that those two were actually out of the sand). It takes a long time for this plant to root so be patient.

I took these cuttings back in September or October and here they are today.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow! Ok, I feel like I'm on track then! I didn't want to unpot mine to see if they had roots, but they still look fairly healthy (and I planted them approximately last December). I'll give them some more time and I think I'll start some more with different methods.

Thanks!!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

now I could be wrong about this... but it looks like the same plant I have... but I just root them in water

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

roots

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

a piece I cut off a few months ago... rooted in water

Thumbnail by onewish1
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

onewish! Yes, I think the plant is in the same family,,, mine is just the "varigated" kind. I'm going to try rooting in water!!!!!!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

it does take a long time even in the water... but i haven't had a problem at all.... just keep adding new water every week to fill the container.. but every single piece i have cut .... rooted with no problems

oh and by the way that plant is well over 15 years old

This message was edited Apr 15, 2007 12:10 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.