My front garden...

Weymouth, MA

I am transforming my front yard into my front garden. This is my greatest garden undertaking ever. I was told I should move my post from Beginning Landscaping to Garden Design (aka Curb Appeal) for more advice. So this is it.

My yard is about 35 feet wide and 20 feet deep. It is nostly very nicely solid clay. My goal is to have a cottage garden with some spanish elements (my partner is from Spain). Here is the current plant list:

Sun Side Border
1 Green Giant (Thuja plicata)
2 Butterfly Rose (Rosa Chinensis “Mutabilis”)...I am going to move two of these!
3 Red Rose Mallow (Hibiscus coccineus”
2 Burning Bush (Euonymus Alatus)
1 Pink Swamp Milkweed (Asclepias incarnate)
5 Dwarf Burford Holly (Ilex Cornuta “Burfordii Nana”)
10 Juniperus conferta ’Blue Pacific’ (Blue Pacific Shore Juniper) (Some are on the shade side.)
1 Winter King Hawthorn
3 P Stachys B Big Ears (Lamb's Ears)

Island
3 Sky Rocket Juniper" (Juniperus virginiana 'Sky Rocket'
10 Hollyhock Alcea rosea var. nigra 'The Watchman'
10 Angelina Sedum (Sedum Rpestre “Angelina”)
24 Crocosmia Emily McKenzie (Crocosmia hybrids “Emily McKenzie”)...Not coming up, I think I planted the bulbs all upside down.
12 Cutting Geranium (Red Geranium)...some planted on the shade side also. This is a Spanish Request!!
3 Doronicum Orientale (Leopard's Bane Little Leo)...just a touch of very bright yellow. Yellow and Red...(Spanish Flag)
Many Phlox Subulata (Snowflake)...many planted in and around the walking paths on the sunny side.
Many Thymus Doerflen (Doone Valley Steppable Thyme)...many planted in and around the walking paths on the sunny side.
3 Miscanthsu Sinensis Gracilllmus (Maiden Grass)

Street Hedge Border
12 Sky Pencil Holly (Ilex Crenata)
1 Sassafras (Sassafras albidum)
40 Red Carpet Border Lily (Lilium)....Not doing so well. I guess I am not so good with bulbs.
12 Dragonflower White (Physostegia virginiana “Miss Manners”)...None of these are coming up. They were just roots. I think I planted them poorly.
12 Moonbeam Coreopsis (Coreopsis verticillata “Moonbeam”)...Growing very slowly.

Shade Side Border
6 Hydrangea Royal Red (Hydrangea hortensis compacta)
1 Large Viburnum (Variety?)
1 Fernspray Cypress (Chamaecyparis “Filicoides”, Sunny spot on Shade side)
1 First Love Gardenia (Gardenia jasminoides “Aimee”)
3 BITTERSWEET VINE (1 Male, 2 Female) Celastrus scandens...Sunny spot on Shade side
5 Sedum Spurium (Bronze Carpet Stonecrop)
Many M Requienii (Corsican Mint)....many planted in and around the bird bath(?) on the shade side. This is a Spanish Request!!

Walkway Border
2 Hollywood Juniper (Juniperus Chinensis “Kaizuka”)
3 Dumbo’s Ears (Rudbeckia maxima)
Salvia (Salvia Snow Hill)...some planted in the Island also. This was supposed to be white lavendar, but I had to compromise a bit. It looks great though!
Rosa Min Red Cascade (Red Cascade Rose, rambler/climber)...one planted in the Island.

Unplaced
3 Rosmarinus Officianalis (Roman Beauty Rosemary) This is a Spanish Request!!

See the very before picture...and just because people asked before...the awning is long, long gone!

My biggest garden lesson so far: There is no end to the number of plants you can put in one space!

Now here is my first GARDEN DESIGN question: When the neighbor said my house looked like Disneyland...was that a good or bad thing????

This thread has 27 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!