My Almond Stick.......

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

was planted 3 or 4 years ago (who keeps journals) & it is in bloom!

Its soooo pretty we had snow last week and they still look good and viable (the blossoms) - (I am in SLC, UT - for some reason my addy not showing up & we get "lake" effect)

Anyone else have? Any experience will be appreciated. I am from up north so really do not know what to expect, the catalog said it was viable for my zone (I did not push zones back then...)

Thanks
Nadine

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Do you have an All-in-One almond tree? It is the only one I know that is self-fertile. Others will need a second variety for cross pollination. Most almonds have a low chill hour factor. In the San Francisco Bay Area, where I've lived most of my life, the almond was the first to bloom. This early bloom makes it susceptible to frost damage. Flowers and fruit are damaged by frost. Usually the tree is hardier.

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

I think it was called Halls Almond and the catalog said it was self fertile, I planted another but my dog at the time took it out. Anyhow the late frost did not affect it is setting fruit right now. Now to see if it has edible nuts in the fall........

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm glad your almond has set fruit. The nut will be ready to harvest when the hull splits. After you harvest, remove the hull, place the nuts in a warm place to dry.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.