look what i found hiding....

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

i was looking around the front porch area and noticed some non-snow white

upon further investigation i found a camellia bloom on one of our plants...didn't think we'd see any this year due to the freezes

what nice monday surprise :-)

lynda

Thumbnail by larlienda
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Oh, thats pretty! Looks like it came off a cake.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

gorgeous- very few camellias around here.

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

love the icing thought :-)

i found two camellias left during lowe's 75% off in the fall....first time i found some that were suppose to be cold hardy, let alone 75% off....

this flower was/is facing the ground under a leaf & behind some grass...must have been just enough protection....all of the buds look awful from a few snow storms earlier

lynda, do you remember how cold hardly they are? They probalby won't make it in my area with out their own little house with space heater LOL

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

the tag has them listed to -10
can imagine all these heaters set up around the yard :-)

Yes it gets colder then that some times up here and add in the wind chill factor, burr!
And it can stay like that for several weeks at a time.
I had all the fluids in my car freeze up one time after letting it sit over the weekend, that was before we had the garage. Can't imagine having your camellias make it up here.

But I can always look at your picture. lol

Shenandoah Valley, VA

So pretty, Lynda. I loved seeing the camelias bloom in February at the Capitol when I was in Richmond every winter. I had no idea there were camelias that would survive here.

I saw they had a bunch of gardenias at Lowes last week that are cold hardy too. Now that's a temptation! They also had the new reblooming azaleas.

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

cold hardy gardenias?!?!?! i've been hoping for those!
i have five very brown reblooming azaleas from last fall that are planted under black walnuts....i'm keeping an eye out for the receipt so i can replace

i don't think i even saw the hardy camellias until their clearance began...they had so much left last year that it was hard to decide!

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

i found a second bloom...this time it was solid pink...apparently the blooms on this particular camellia can be solid or striped....this makes two more blooms than i expected!

i hope the cold hardy gardenia works out just as well...i bought 3 types at lowe's that were hardy to about 0, so i'm hoping with mucho mulch they'll stick around and bloom

Thumbnail by larlienda
Shenandoah Valley, VA

They still had some gardenias at Lowes in Woodstock when I was there yesterday, Larlienda. One was cold hardy to 0. The other, which was variegated was only hardy to 20, which obviously wasn't suitable for our climate.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.