Pecan and Black Walnut freeze damage

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

My Pecans and Walnuts have had their new leaves frozen. They look pathetic with the little drooping clumps at the end of their branches. They were just begining to leaf out, and I was so pleased. Will they recover? Any chance of nuts? As long as the trees survive I'll be happy, they're old and beautiful....
Margo

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

trees will be fine, takes a while to determine crop damage

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Hi again, Farmerdill. You seem to be my saviour today, and I appreciate your taking the time to reassure me on all these different questions about all my poor frozen PlantPeople. Less nuts may not be such a bad thing.....:)
Margo

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Here in Canada we often get a late frost that tinges the new leaves on our Black Walnut. If the flowers haven't opened yet you should be OK for nuts, but they open before the leaves. The squirrels get all of ours anyway!

Henderson, KY(Zone 6a)

My black walnuts and alot of the others in my woods took it really hard with the frost. I was just looking at the wild black cherries yesterday, no black cherry jelly this year either. That's three years in a row. My apples, peaches, nectarines, plums and cherries all took a beating.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.