Blooming beauties for the shady garden

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Bonitin: You've given me some good ideas. The trees are a mix of deciduous oaks and gum, along with tall pine trees. Half shade in spring & dappled in summer.
I just planted some Ger. Macrorrhizum, Saponaria Ocymoides, Veronica Crater Lake blue, Anem. Multlifida and they all look as if they're planning to bloom. I started some Anem. Nemerosa which are almost big enough to put out. I also had some narcissus in there which did well but I needed to have about 3 times as many as I planted, and iris cristata, which are up but not bloomin' yet.

It's a trial and error thing for me in there. Very dry. Lots of competition from ivy in some areas, less in others.
NOW I'm going to look up the others your suggested. :)
(Here's one end of my little dell in mid summer. Ivy land!)

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sorry-got carried away and forgot the thread theme. Bloomers!

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Deb, your ivy land is sure pretty. And you've managed to get some color in too!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Doss: Thanks, that was last August. I will have alot more color this year. (That's the plan, anyway.)
Deb

Landenberg, PA(Zone 6b)

Doss, thanks for the information. They look so lovely planted en masse like that.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Great photos.. I have all sorts of ideas now!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I forgot to mention that the hostas 'Golden Tiara' can be planted about two feet apart. If you want, you can plant them wider and then divide to fill in the gap. It just depends on how much you want the effect NOW.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Deb, there is a great sale on polygonatum variegatum at The Koi Garden Club
http://koigardenclub.com/PlantStockOnline.htm
He has these funny midnight sales. I haven't purchased from him and he's new but at this price it's probably worth a try! The sale won't be on the website until the particular sale is available.

This Sunday 12:00am-to-7:59am (central time) - Variegated Solomon's Seal - $2.99

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Doss: Thanks for the tip. Kind of odd time of day, but I can deal with that for those kinds of prices. :)
Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.