Gerberas

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm getting ready to start some gerbera daisies. I know I'm probably a little late, but to be honest the sowing instructions intimidated me so I've been procrastinating. I just read somewhere else that they weren't difficult at all so I'm about to give it a shot. Do any of you have any experience with them? I'd love to hear from someone with some first hand experience.

Thanks,
La

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, La, your in for both pain and pleasure.I have been growing gerberas for most of a year, and use my own seed, and seed from DG friends, and as yet to see a plant ready for flower, but of coarse, its too early for that.The things to watch for will be watching your warering, and make sure the plant "needs"it before watering, they don't like wet feet, and they can't let the crown get covered with any dirt, or its gone.I have made the mistake of watering, when 2 or 3 plants looked like they needed it, and while I was at it covered all of them, and lost a few.Now I water each plant, as needed, and let the rest get a little dry.I know some day I shall see a gebera bloom that was once a seed, and it will all be worth it.The best germination container I have tried is a roaster pan, I bought from dollar general, and put fine gravel in the bottom, and seed in paper pots, put water in the gravel, and put the dome over them until the first true leaves, and move them to pots, by using a very large tweezer, I found on the road, good find, and I don't know what one would use to do the job, if I didn't have that, but the little roots are small, and important to transplant properly.Good luck, and yes, its worth it.Mike

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks Mike,

I was beginning to think that I was the only person here crazy enough to try this! I divided my seed and tried 2 different methods to germinate them. Following some information I read on the web, I tried just planting a few on top of the soil, and for the rest I used the coffee filter method. It's only been 3 days so I've not seen germination with either method but I'm crossing my fingers that I get at least a few sprouts. If both fail, I'll dig into your bag of tricks and try the roasting pan set-up. I'd love to know how you make out with yours....please keep me updated if you can.

Thanks again,
La

Macon, IL(Zone 5b)

Has anyone ever tried propagating gerbera daisies from stem cuttings? I haven't, but am game to try if anyone has any suggestions for how to do this.......
Karen

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I don't know about doing a stem cutting, but gerbers can be divided every couple of years. Those who grow Gerbers in mass production generally only keep the momma for two years . They divided off all the off sprign and replant them to keep stock going.

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

How do you divide Gerberas? I bought a few this year...I think I have 5 or 6. They are in my front flower bed and are doing well. I have a friend that really liked them and I thought about dividing some for her after they finish blooming. I have no idea how to do this though! I figured I'd start asking once summer was coming to a close, but since we're on the subject...if anyone has any instruction to give me I'd appreciate it!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

La and Mike, I am new to starting Gerbers too, I got a few seeds from a DG member in a Round Robin, Planted about 12 seeds April 18. I had a few seeds germinate in 13 days. here is a pic. of the seedlings.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Woohoo for you Ladygardener! Boohoo for me...not a single one of mine germinated. Can I ask how you started them?

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

ShortStuff.... To divide your Gerbers, take alook at your plant. If yoru able o divid e it you will see the individual sections. Take yoru fingers and gently seperate the leave s till you can get down by the crown and fell where one plant starts and another one ends. If they are in the ground just dig the clump up and the extra seedlings are usually fairly eaily to pull loose. If you Have soem problem sepratign them then use a knife dippe d in alcohol or bleach first to cut through. Then just replant your main stock plants.

Gerbers are very susceptible to fungal diseases , better to be on the safe side with clean tools. When you transplant your off spring, plant them with the center crown a bit on the high side. If you have a fungicide, giv e them a treatment when you have repotted and keep moist but on the dry side.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

La, nothing speical, I used germiniation mix, one - two seeds per cell, lightly covered, under lights 16 on -8 off in cool basement 68º, with a dome over the flat.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.